Page 39 of 655 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139539 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    From what I have been able to determine, practically all x-ray film manufactured in the past 30 years is on a polyester base and not acetate.

Here is a quote from the reference that I ran across yesterday regarding fading - actually fogging:

"X-ray film will fog slowly with time, the extent depending markedly on how well it is stored. This fogging, along with the optical density of the film base, will generate a low density in the toe section of the Characteristic Curve." See http://www.e-radiography.net/radtech/f/film.htm.

Finally, here is a link to the Kodak Data sheet that I found: http://www.taldent.ee/est/med/filmid/mxg.pdf

Thomas
    It's true that Xray film builds up B+F slowly before exposure (seen it happen at the lab when we used a lot of it for autoradiography), but after processing there is no reason that the negative is as stable as normally processed negatives..maybe the grain size is smaller than standard film..

I guess fading after processing is due to sloppy processing (running the developing machine too long with exhausted fixer, washing too short etc..)

best,

Cor

That word they are using on the film section"
    "supercoat"
    I don't think it means what they think it means.
    How about overcoat or last, soft, coat

I'm sure I can get plenty of contrast and Density Range one side of X-Ray film for carbon printing by developing in 510-Pyro.
    That's good to know. I'll have to try some single sided xray film. Thanks Jay.

andrew

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

My doorbell just rang and UPS forked them over:

Joe, I think the 24x24 is cm not inches. I think you have three options:
    1. buy 14x36 and cut down to 12x20; leaves a piece of 11x14 as well
    2. use two sheets of 12x10 side by side; yes, use clear tape if needed to hold into place
    3. cut 14x17 down to 12x17 and tape down one end to center in your 12x20 holder

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Forks View Post
    I wish xray were available in 12x20, but it is not, that I am aware of.
    It is available in 24x24 and 10x12 though, which gives me two options.

1) splice two sheets of 10x12 together - emulsion on both sides though, how do I keep them in place? A small piece of tape or two on the backside at the splice?

2) cut down 24x24 - I've heard it over and over this stuff scratches easily.

Are either of these viable options if I want to play with cheap film? Or am I SOL? I mean for the chump change they are asking I might play anyway, just thought I'd get some feedback first before I place an order.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

[/QUOTE]

FWIW, the above Kodak ClinicSelect Green X-ray film was until recently named KODAK Medical X-ray Film / 5156 / MXG and the data sheet that I linked to in my earlier post is for this film. Incidentally the films current manufacturer, Carestream Health HQ'd in Rochester, was formerly Eastman Kodak Company's Health Group.

Thomas

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Images shot on X-ray film

With all of the recent interest in x-ray film I thought it would be helpful to have a thread dedicated to the images made. If you do not have prints done yet then post the scan of the neg. That is okay I guess but for me printing is where it is at. Tell us what you used and the details if you wish. This should show what can be done with x-ray film.

8x10 carbon transfer print. Green sensitive x-ray film Developed in Pyrocat-HD in Tanks 1:1:100 for 6 minutes.

This was one of my first prints from x-ray film. "Faces in the Palm"

Big Bend

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

Very nice Jim! Nice idea for a thread too. May I ask at what iso you rated the film? And IIRC you used the CSX online green, right? I ordered some Fuji green sensitive, it's on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    FWIW, the above Kodak ClinicSelect Green X-ray film was until recently named KODAK Medical X-ray Film / 5156 / MXG and the data sheet that I linked to in my earlier post is for this film. Incidentally the films current manufacturer, Carestream Health HQ'd in Rochester, was formerly Eastman Kodak Company's Health Group.

Thomas[/QUOTE]

And this is single sided coating or double sided coating? I looked at the website link and either I'm a dummy or it didn't say.

MB

I have a box of the Kodak High Speed Green X-ray film in 8X10. I believe it's the same stuff, except the emulsion is faster. Mine is double sided. Mamography film is single sided, but comes in weird sizes. I think most 8X10 medical X-ray films are double sided.