Page 89 of 655 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189589 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by LargeFormatPhotography View Post
    Okay, So after reading a lot about people shooting with XRAY FILM and seeing their results I too want to try this. My question is this ..... I have looked online high and low but can not come up with any answers to this simple question. Is XRAY film available in 4x5 format and if so where can I get it? Any and all information would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
    First, yes it was made and used. Used in a fluoro camera. When the area of interest was discovered the doctor ran the camera which was a sheet fed quick load and expose. Then the camera was taken to the darkroom where the sheets were fed into the processor. I did this at a children's hospital. It was a real PIA. Now it's digital which is excellent.

I've seen 4x5 X-ray sheet film a couple of times on the Internet. It was around. Good luck, keep searching.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by LargeFormatPhotography View Post
    Okay, So after reading a lot about people shooting with XRAY FILM and seeing their results I too want to try this. My question is this ..... I have looked online high and low but can not come up with any answers to this simple question. Is XRAY film available in 4x5 format and if so where can I get it? Any and all information would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
    I shot this in 4x5 from time to time, I did cut my 8x10 into squares to do it (easy, with safelight and regular paper cutter). I noticed that my finished 4x5s had far fewer scratches than my 8x10s, which helped me realize the scratch problem wasn't with handling the film, loading into filmholders and such, but it was almost entirely due to my tray processing. I process 4x5 in a tank, I have virtually no scratches.

I used to be able to get medical ultrasound film (8x10) in the late 90s and early 2Ks. I exposed it at ISO 200 and developed it in its prolper chemistry in the X-Ray darkroom . . .an automatic roler transport system for the X-Ray films: 90 seconds from dry to dry!

Nearly all medical imaging is digital now and I am retired, so these are just memories of the good-ol-days.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

This image is a test of sorts for X-Ray and HC110 development. I think That HC110 needs a restrainer when used with X-Ray because the other images in this batch had over developed only in some areas and were very foamy when washed. Overall though, I think this looks very film-like and unlike an X-Ray. Which is what I'm trying to work out as its so much less expensive to use. High dilution X-Ray, hmmm.

1903 Eastman View No. 1 - Schneider Symmar S 240mm - f/45 - Kodak B/RA X-Ray Film - 8x10 Film - HC 110 1+200 - Unaltered Negative Scan

Quote Originally Posted by Holdenrichards View Post
    This image is a test of sorts for X-Ray and HC110 development. I think That HC110 needs a restrainer when used with X-Ray because the other images in this batch had over developed only in some areas and were very foamy when washed. Overall though, I think this looks very film-like and unlike an X-Ray. Which is what I'm trying to work out as its so much less expensive to use. High dilution X-Ray, hmmm.

1903 Eastman View No. 1 - Schneider Symmar S 240mm - f/45 - Kodak B/RA X-Ray Film - 8x10 Film - HC 110 1+200 - Unaltered Negative Scan
    Holden,

Are you tray processing? This looks really good. I'm getting ready to shoot some 10x12 green latitude film and attempting to work out some details before diving in.

Thanks in advance!

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I noticed that my finished 4x5s had far fewer scratches than my 8x10s, which helped me realize the scratch problem wasn't with handling the film, loading into filmholders and such, but it was almost entirely due to my tray processing. I process 4x5 in a tank, I have virtually no scratches.
    Try using a Unidrum to process. I just saw some go on eBay cheap. But others are priced like a kings ransom. Stay away from those.

I have been able to process four 8x10 sheets with no problems this way in my big drum.

Having said that, be aware that the emulsion is very, very soft. And you can easily scratch the back side facing the wall of the drum when you take it out. (Yes, this is the voice of experience speaking.)

If you plan to strip the back side with chlorine bleach that's no problem. But if you're going to leave both sides for density then be careful removing it from the drum.

I suspect a Beseler drum will work too, but no first hand experience.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Batchelor View Post
    Try using a Unidrum to process. I just saw some go on eBay cheap. But others are priced like a kings ransom. Stay away from those.

I have been able to process four 8x10 sheets with no problems this way in my big drum.

Having said that, be aware that the emulsion is very, very soft. And you can easily scratch the back side facing the wall of the drum when you take it out. (Yes, this is the voice of experience speaking.)

If you plan to strip the back side with chlorine bleach that's no problem. But if you're going to leave both sides for density then be careful removing it from the drum.

I suspect a Beseler drum will work too, but no first hand experience.
    I have so far avoided drums and tubes and the like because I don't want uneven developing of the back side. No I don't strip it. I suppose a ridged drum would allow some chemicals to reach the back, but wouldn't the ridges cause marks? The film is quite stiff, it won't curl well into a drum, either.

Jody if the back of the film is touching the drum it will mark the film, but yes the ridges do allow even development to the back
    Cheers Shane

I am tray processing, I saw some other great high dilution examples here. I expose @25 ASA and at that speed the dev time is generally 3:30 of constant agitation in 1+100 Rodinal or 7 minutes stand. So I did 1+200 for 14 minutes in HC110 to see if it would work, 1+100 and@50 ASA (7 minutes constant agitation) is a good place to start with your film and then experiment

thanks!