Page 494 of 655 FirstFirst ... 394444484492493494495496504544594 ... LastLast
Results 4,931 to 4,940 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

I repaired a C.P Goerz Apocomat Atar 6" lens in a Rapax shutter and tried the x-ray film today at a close up. 2X magnification F:9 @2 seconds,no filter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	173198

Light around the edges---is this a tray-processing artifact?
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

No it is the whole negative. I cut it from a much larger film,the edge on the right is a little off plumb for being cut in the dark.
    It is the way the cut silver emulsion is cut and the edge is open to the chems. All the film I have cut does that.
    I'm going to next try a 1:3 dilution of Microdol-X and develop for 13 minutes as others have recommended.

A friend of mine is a physician and recently unearthed the xray film photo I've pasted below when cleaning out an old medical office. I know nothing about xray film, so I'm curious if anyone knows how an image like this one may have been made--a large positive image on xray film. We also have no idea who took this and where or when it was taken, so if any boating or marina experts out there detect and clues, please share.

Thanks for any insights on this!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 10.37.59 AM.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	173228

Yes, X-ray film was used as a "paper" and a normal enlarger was used with a negative. You get a positive image. I've done this many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    Yes, X-ray film was used as a "paper" and a normal enlarger was used with a negative. You get a positive image. I've done this many times.
    I see, that's very helpful. What steps are then required to develop the xray "paper" to get the positive image? I know the conventional process for BW film and paper, but not for xray film used as "paper." Just curious--thanks again!

Since you are projecting a negative, you get a positive - there is no difference in processing in this instance.

If you were not enlarging a negative and instead made an image with a camera, it is possible to process it as a positive. I have not tried it with x-ray film myself, but it's possible to use a first developer, then a toning/redevelopment agent, and finally a bleach and fix to get rid of the "negative" image. I won't get into the details but it is possible, just uncommon these days.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Since you are projecting a negative, you get a positive - there is no difference in processing in this instance.

If you were not enlarging a negative and instead made an image with a camera, it is possible to process it as a positive. I have not tried it with x-ray film myself, but it's possible to use a first developer, then a toning/redevelopment agent, and finally a bleach and fix to get rid of the "negative" image. I won't get into the details but it is possible, just uncommon these days.
    Thank you, that is also very helpful. Just to make sure I understand, if I project a negative onto xray film (used as "paper"), I could then just run that xray film through my usual develop, stop, fix process (same as I use for BW paper) and I would get a positive image on the xray film like the one my friend found. Is that correct? I've never developed xray film so I assumed it would need some other chemicals or an entirely different process.

X-ray film is pretty much like normal film. It is much higher contrast though, generally speaking, so those of us who have shot it generally concoct our own development strategy / times to control contrast. Also, x-ray film is a bit more delicate than other films and is easily scratched - so you may have to finesse your process depending on how you do things. Tray processing x-ray is usually pretty safe. Tube processing usually causes bad scratching. There's also different types of films that have emulsion on both sides...but this has been discussed many times in this thread if you feel like reading a bit.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

X Ray film can be developed by almost any film or paper developer.

I normally use Rodinol but sometimes use Ilford PQ paper developer on big sheets up to 14 X 36”.

No I don’t have a tray that big. I put SS clips on the ends and sea saw it in 16x20 trays. Works fine and no scratches.