Page 486 of 655 FirstFirst ... 386436476484485486487488496536586 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,860 of 6544

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

I had the same problem to start off, just had to adjust the fstop to a smaller setting and let out less light. I think my main reason was to turn a magic lantern positive image into a larger negative for alternate printing. Hopefully the image above proves it can work for Kallitypes

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    I've tried exposing x-ray film under a normal enlarger (fitted with a bog standard incandescent enlarger bulb) and it worked just fine. I gave up on it as contrast control was a b*tch and it would take quite a bit of experimenting to work out a predictable process. But the light source itself really works just fine. Odds are something else is going wrong, because both the blue- and the green sensitive film can effectively be exposed under a regular enlarger. The fact that the color temperature is quite low doesn't mean there's nothing going on in the blue and green part of the spectrum. After all, that's also where your variable contrast paper is being exposed, and that works quite alright, doesn't it
    I just went through the alternate printing thread and saw one you did (van dyke brown) of an axe or cleaver on a block of wood, the detail is amazing! Great Print!
    Last edited by andrewch59; 4-Jul-2017 at 21:37.

X-ray (single and double-sided) has worked well for me when enlarging smaller negatives for kallitype and carbon transfer printing.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewch59 View Post
    I just went through the alternate printing thread and saw one you did (van dyke brown) of an axe or cleaver on a block of wood, the detail is amazing! Great Print!
    Thanks! But I have to admit that that print was from a digital negative (although the original capture was on 35mm p Pan F+). The few enlarged xray negatives that I made didn't yield particularly impressive prints. But that was also because I reversal processed them (so negative - negative) and that introduces a whole new set of parameters to control.

The company I get my xray film from have reversal film, is it any good? I guess the cheapest way would be to make a small positive, then enlarge it onto a large piece of film as a negative??

Hello
    I've been lurking around here for a couple months and was wondering if anyone uses Sprint Developer? I'm in college and Sprint is provided. (I can use other developers if approved by faculty) I am mainly worried about how much grain. I'm not a fan of noticeable grain. I am leaning towards CXS Green but would rather Ektascan because antihalation. I plan on doing different types of alternative process contact prints.

David Schaller

Grain won't be an issue in a contact print. You may have to experiment to get development times.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Whitely View Post
    Hello
    I've been lurking around here for a couple months and was wondering if anyone uses Sprint Developer? I'm in college and Sprint is provided. (I can use other developers if approved by faculty) I am mainly worried about how much grain. I'm not a fan of noticeable grain. I am leaning towards CXS Green but would rather Ektascan because antihalation. I plan on doing different types of alternative process contact prints.
    I had not ever heard of Sprint developer and looked it up online. Fascinating. Not my thing... I'd never choose an all in one system like that, but I can see the attraction for a school lab. But they lost me when saying N+1 development was a "general safety factor." Sigh.

Reading the material safety data sheets, it looks like this is a purely hydroquinone based developer. They are obscuring their exact formula (as if there were great mysteries in developers these days). Pure quinone developers seem to be very high contrast and slow acting. Slow is ok, but given that x-ray film is a bit prone to high contrast already, I'd be concerned about the contrast. Grain is probably less of a worry. The grain in my Rodinal (a notoriously grainy developer) processed 4x5s on green x-ray doesn't seem problematic to me until the print is enlarged to truly enormous sizes. If you're contact printing it will be a non-issue.

Give it a shot! It will be fun. I'd try diluting it heavily though if your lab is using it one-shot. If they are replenishing and you can't dilute it, you may need to try a water bath alternation if your contrast gets out of control. But you may need pretty extreme contrast depending on what your alt-process is? My experience is with fine silver printing so I can't speak to that.

Definitely take the time to profile your film, developer and paper (or paper equivalent in your process). It will save you a ton of time in the long run. I messed around for way too long before formally taking test shots and doing it right.

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    After quite a bit of effort, and nearly 50 sheets of film, I have finally managed to produce a negative from green sensitive xray which is comparable to regular panchromatic film.

My goal was to produce a negative for kallitypes, primarily studio portraits. I use Rodinal 1:100 in a flat bottomed tray with 1 liter of solution (convenient and cheap). My negatives swung between having compressed tonality--resulting in weird blotchy skin tones--or blown highlights. The key for me was using the ideas in D.F. Cardwell's article "Shaping the tone curve of a Rodinal Negative" to compensate for the oddities of X-Ray film. I dropped my ASA from 100 to 64, which produced nice rich skin tones, and also significantly reduced by agitation, which tamed my highlights. I did not change my development time of 6 minutes nor my dilution of 1:100 which I had come to through a failed (and lame) attempt to apply BTZS ideas to xray film.

As (hopefully) you can see from the attached scan (an 8x10 crop of an 11x14 negative, with only very minor adjustments), my negatives are quite sharp, and most importantly, produce great kallitypes. Much of the sharpness I should attribute to using strobes (which I am a novice, so please forgive the double catch-lights and other flaws in the attached sample). This was of great help, since it reduced the number of variables I was working with. Anyhow, it is too dark and rainy to go out with an 11x14.

This is very similar to my process. I do Rodinal at 100:1 shot at 64 asa. What agitation scheme did you land on yourself? Thanks.

I will soon start with my first xray film exposures. I will use green sensitive with my 8.5x15" camera. I made film inserts for my bookform style holder from green plastic. Now the question: would you paint these in mat black? Will the lack of anti-halation of the film in combination with reflections of the green plastic cause problems?