Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Latest View Camera Issue (March/April)

Re: The Latest View Camera Issue (March/April)

I’m an amateur photographer and I’ve been visiting this forum for a rather brief time.
    I really enjoy reading some of the topics and other bits of information.

Anyway, I’ve noticed that with the exception of forums like this, there are few, very few publications, etc. that focus their efforts on LF, which is unfortunate for beginners, or those who might be interested in learning more about this craft.

It would be nice if there were more current reviews of large format cameras, technique, etc., but for some reason there are only mention of these topics in user groups and the like. I’ve also being checking out the View Camera magazine, but again mostly coverage of photographer’s works not much on camera reviews, buying suggestions, technique, etc.

I live just south of Sacramento, CA, so I have to travel to San Francisco Bay area to check out LF gear. With the exception of Big Box stores and the occasional Ritz; there’s not much in the way of camera stores in Sacramento.

I'm also an amatuer musician, astronomer and coin collector as well as a computer programmer. It amazes me that with all these well established fields, in particular LF photography, the LF community itself does little to support its own continuance. Lots of bitch sessions, but very few who are willing to step-up to fill the void, or provide an alternative.

As a beginner, this saddens me. Newspapers are dying because people are flocking to the Internet to get their news. Newspapers and magazines take money and staff and other resources to be successful, so if readership drops, or publication stops, it doesn't just hurt the publisher; it hurts all of us. Lest we not forget, not everyone has or is inclined to own a computer much less use it to read about LF.

I don't know what the answer is. All I know is that some areas of the country are blessed with learning opportunities (workshops and the like), and some areas go wanting. Not everyone, particularly students can afford a $200-400 workshop, or pay for lodging and travel to get to the workshop.

Isn't there a Lightwork store, or the same store by a subsequent name in Sacramento? I know that there used to be one off of 50. That was a long time ago, but I'd heard more recently that it was still in business. Sketchy information, though.

Maybe someone else knows what happened to this store and if it's still in business.

I was sorry to see that some of our local stores stopped carrying it. Maybe it's a distributor issue, versus a VC issue. If I knew any stores that carried it, I would check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    . . . since I have just finished a doctorate, . . .
    Congratulations! What was your concentration?

Lightwork is gone...
    You might check out Camera Arts
    Viewpoint Gallery is the gathering place for photographers in Sac.
    I recently attended a John Sexton lecture sponsored by them.
    I'm in Modesto,(90 mi. south) & thinking about joining.
    David Silva
    www.davidsilvaphoto.com

"I'm also an amatuer musician, astronomer and coin collector as well as a computer programmer. It amazes me that with all these well established fields, in particular LF photography, the LF community itself does little to support its own continuance. Lots of bitch sessions, but very few who are willing to step-up to fill the void, or provide an alternative.

As a beginner, this saddens me. Newspapers are dying because people are flocking to the Internet to get their news. Newspapers and magazines take money and staff and other resources to be successful, so if readership drops, or publication stops, it doesn't just hurt the publisher; it hurts all of us. Lest we not forget, not everyone has or is inclined to own a computer much less use it to read about LF.

I don't know what the answer is. All I know is that some areas of the country are blessed with learning opportunities (workshops and the like), and some areas go wanting. Not everyone, particularly students can afford a $200-400 workshop, or pay for lodging and travel to get to the workshop.[/QUOTE]

You need to look towards your local photography group and see how many are LF users. If not many then beat the preverbal bush for some. The group I use to belong here in Portland has many LF users and one or two ULF. Post some flyers with a LF camera and print this "What is this and can you tell me more about it?" then your phone or email address.
    There has to be a group who who respond because Sacramento and area is where Mr. Simmons was living before moving the New Mexico. I'm sure there has to be someone left.
    As to the "Bitch" session. It's up to you if you want to partake in that or just move on. I would move on if it gets to be too bitchy. We old farts love to bitch.

The writing is one the wall (Or on the monitor) when it comes to printed material. Its cheaper and less costly for news and ideas to be shared via internet. I would prefer to see a hard copy print but for reviews of gear and film and techniques. The computer will be it pretty soon.
    I would like to see a web version of magazines, just to give it a try. If it doesn't fly then so be it. Think of the costs saved. The paper, the ink, the electricity for the printing presses. The costs of shipping and so forth.
    Also think of how smaller the carbon foot print. Its going to happen sooner or later. Just a mater of time.

Well, I just received the current issue. I was not personally impressed with the previous one, but definitely pleased with this one. My subscription was about to expire, but now I am going to renew it. This is partly due to the need for LF publications and my enjoyment. Jon

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Isn't there a Lightwork store, or the same store by a subsequent name in Sacramento? I know that there used to be one off of 50.
    Lightwork is gone as is Camera Arts. I joined the Viewpoint gallery about two weeks before John Sexton's lecture. I also attended his lecture given at CRC which is not far from where I live. CRC also offers a class in LF and emphasizes that the prospective student have their own LF camera. Except, I'm not sure where students are buying these cameras -- not in Sacramento that's for sure unless there's some hidden venue I haven't been able to find on my own.

Sacramento City College (which part of the same college district as CRC) is eliminating several of their photographic film classes and offering more digital. Which is just the opposite of what happening at Sierra college in Rocklin, CA.

Viewpoint has a number of large format members and offers large format oriented classes from time to time. Gene Kennedy would be the one to contact.

As for equipment, you might want to check out the classifieds on this forum. Some bargains seem to go unsold for weeks, definetly a buyers market.

I would not expect to see any new magazines dedicated to large format photography; there is already a wealth of information on this forum and others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    "
    You need to look towards your local photography group and see how many are LF users. If not many then beat the preverbal bush for some. {snip}
    I joined a local photo forum in San Diego. It was almost exclusively digital when I joined. After some exposure to the LF camera, the MF camera, film. etc. I see some of the members "getting out their old rangefinders" or "dusting off the TLR" and pushing a few rolls of film through them. One member, a high school kid, was just given an old Canon film camera with fisheye lenses and a waterproof case. He's now testing out Kodak Gold 100 before he moves on and pushes some rolls of Velvia through the camera. I didn't really "beat the bushes" but as soon as I exposed others to the alternatives of digital, interest grew.

So Robert's suggestion is a good one, seek out other like-minded individuals. Take you LF camera to a coffee shop and set it up, you'll be surprised at the number of conversations it'll strike up, and the number who might say, "I shoot LF also!"

Brian