Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Latest View Camera Issue (March/April)

Re: The Latest View Camera Issue (March/April)

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    The topics discussed in this thread fall within the guidelines, which can be accessed through the "Guidelines" link at the top of the page.
    That's not where the problem lies. Nobody argues that the topics falls within the guidelines. The real question is if the treatment of the person in question falls within these guidelines.

From "Guidelines"
    "Name calling, personal attacks, character assassination, coarse or inappropriate language, or enticing/baiting others to violate forum guidelines will not be tolerated here. Generally speaking, in responding to a posting, try to respond only to the content of the thread and not to the individual."

funny,

this exact discourse comes up almost every time VC is due out....seems to be a pattern!

for those who support SS way of doing business as passion etc etc and not to go so "amazon" on it i ask you to think of this:

if your car was broke down and you brought it to the mechanic and he said 3 days and that turned into 3 weeks and that happened every time your car broke down (and it broke down every 3 months because the manufacturer used bad assembly line parts and labor ) woud you continue to go to the said mechanic? would you tell your friends who drive the same POS car that the mechanic is always late and after he fixed the car you continued to have problems with it do to bad manufacturing of the car as well as poor maintenance skills of your mechanic.....You bet you would!!!!

so i agree, if you do not like how VC is run do not buy. i do not. BUT if "you" want the bashing to stop get after the publisher NOT the consumer. seems some people are blaming the wrong entity here......

well that is all for now....see you in 3-5 months for the next installment of:

"VC magazine is......"

maybe we could just sticky this thread to the top of the page so we can just add to it in a few months....see you in the future.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    funny,

this exact discourse comes up almost everytime VC is due out....seems to bbe a pttern!

so i agree, if you do not like how VC is run do not buy. i do not. BUT if "you" want the bashing to stop get after the publisher NOT the consumer. seems some people are blaming the wrong entity here......

Exactly! Enticing /baiting people to "get after the publisher" is what clearly falls into the guidelines as unacceptable.
    What is your theory about it, Neil?

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Exactly! Enticing /baiting people to "get after the publisher" is what clearly falls into the guidelines as unacceptable.
    What is your theory about it, Neil?
    i mean call the publisher on the phone, email, or by letter. it will not work here as we know SS is not here.....
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

funny,

this exact discourse comes up almost every time VC is due out....seems to be a pattern!

for those who support SS way of doing business as passion etc etc and not to go so "amazon" on it i ask you to think of this:

if your car was broke down and you brought it to the mechanic and he said 3 days and that turned into 3 weeks and that happened every time your car broke down (and it broke down every 3 months because the manufacturer used bad assembly line parts and labor ) woud you continue to go to the said mechanic? would you tell your friends who drive the same POS car that the mechanic is always late and after he fixed the car you continued to have problems with it do to bad manufacturing of the car as well as poor maintenance skills of your mechanic.....You bet you would!!!!

well that is all for now....see you in 3-5 months for the next installment of:

"VC magazine is......"

maybe we could just sticky this thread to the top of the page so we can just add to it in a few months....see you in the future.
    The publisher isn't doing anything wrong, eddie. The publisher has mailed out everyone here's subscription. It just takes time. I was just on his website and I don't see anywhere where it says, "Receive your subscription copy before it's out on newsstands" But please, go ahead and show it to me.

http://www.viewcamera.com/store.html

Now you can assume that you're supposed to get the magazine before newsstands do, but you know what happens when you assume....

So then you'll ask what the benefit is of getting a subscription. Well, you could either spend $47.70 a year buying the issues from your local newsstand, if they actually have it and it's not sold out, in which case you have to go to another bookstore.. the cost of gas isn't cheap these days... or you could spend $25 a year and have it mailed to your home. Now it may not arrive before it's on newsstands, but you'll get it.

Those who come to great defense of View Camera should realize that those who criticize it are not doing it lightly. There are very genuine criticisms of this magazine and you hear exactly the same stories from different people all over the world.

I subscribed about five years ago from Australia. I also subscribe to B&W, Black and White, Silverprint, and now Color. All come from overseas and I have no problems with delivery whatsoever. Every one is delivered on time. They are all very professional in their layout and each gives me a different perspective of photography.

I subscribed to View Camera about five years ago. I paid for a 2-year subscription. Their freight was very expensive to Australia - as much as the magazine itself. View Camera assured me that I was getting "first class" freight and so it would be delivered very quickly. Well you can all guess the story. Not one single issue ever arrived - not one. In every case I waited 3 to 4 months after publication date to enquire where my issue was. In many cases my emails were never answered. In one case I got an email from a lady in the office who asked me "who do you think you are" and accused me of being "rude". All I was doing was asking for my rightful copy. So much for their first class freight.

After this episode, I still wanted to support the LF magazine community; I continued my subscription through an Australian dealer. After another two years, I constantly found the layout childlike and amateurish - it never improved. Also all the articles where very basic, very short and remiss on any sort of detail. Eventually I ended my relationship with VC.

I subscribe to many international publications; have bought Focus off the newsstands (have seriously considered subscribing and may yet). I have never known another magazine to have such terrible delivery problems, and have a layout similar to what a kindergarten kid would do. Are the font sizes still changing erratically? Does anyone do a spell check?

I believe the criticisms are well founded and in many cases and valid.
    Be a slave to technology, or shoot film.
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com
    www.photorepair.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by John Voss View Post
    Sadly, and I mean really sadly because I liked the spirit of the magazine a lot, View Camera is one of the most amateurishly produced enterprises I've ever dealt with. I was once a subscriber, but no more.
    Like John, I am a former subscriber. And as others have noted the topic of View Camera bashing comes up from time to time and has for years on one internet thread or another.

Years ago when these threads would pop up on a forum or news group I restrained myself from coming to View Camera's defense and by association Steve Simmons defense as there was a period of years where the magazine was fairly decently produced and by and large I was forgiving of the faults mentioned in these threads. I have almost every copy of the magazine including the first issues.

However, the magazine declined so badly (including ridiculous delivery times for my subscription, poor customer service regarding magazines never received, their ridiculous password system for subscribers for web only content, and their failure to keep the web content up to date) that I quit subscribing. I even purchased copies off the newsstands to replace the copies that never arrived. This happened too frequently for the delivery being lost by USPS as the root problem since I received my other magazine subscriptions like clock work.

If anyone thinks that these criticisms are unfounded then I have to ask what they would do if their expectations were not being met by a product that they were purchasing. The answer should be obvious, we 'fire' the product!

I no longer bother to browse the magazine on the newsstand. I do realize that producing a high quality magazine for large distribution is very expensive and difficult; printed media is under assault by the competitive force of the internet. IMO, it would have been shrewd of the publisher to seque to an internet only and/or CD only publication if they cannot afford to publish and distribute a paper version properly.

At any rate my patronage of VC is over forever unless some miraculous change occurs.

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    I do realize that producing a high quality magazine for large distribution is very expensive and difficult; printed media is under assault by the competitive force of the internet. IMO, it would have been shrewd of the publisher to seque to an internet only and/or CD only publication if they cannot afford to publish and distribute a paper version properly.
    IIRC, Simmons more or less polled the LFPF community some time ago about doing just what you suggest. It's not as though he hasn't considered it. There was a lively discussion and a variety of responses to the notion of a digital version, but in the end, I think the decision was to continue with a "real" copy of the magazine for the time being. Perhaps the time has come to abandon that decision since it doesn't seem to be working out.
    ----------------------------------------------------

www.johnvossphotography.blogspot.com

Finding out the Magazine is not paying contributors as promised will definately factor in my renewing next time. If I find they are not being paid I will not renew.

Despite all considerations made by David ( and I agree to most of them) I think that not paying contributors is a real shame, and worth consideration in renewing.

Helcio

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Perhaps it is our collective form of PMS... Pre-Magazine Syndrome?