Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Latest View Camera Issue (March/April)

Re: The Latest View Camera Issue (March/April)

Interestingly, the last but one 'VC Sucks' thread berated Steve Simmons and his magazine for going with too many non-technical articles to the neglect of tech content. Personality issues aside (but of course, that is the actual, 'real' issue for most of the people posting), could it be that a lot of folk feel entitled to a magazine that's written just for them and their precise interests? If so, that might be an interesting and constructive dialogue to have here (perhaps a new thread).

Traditional publishing is already in a world of hurt. If we persist on tearing it down for not being all things to all people, the only good outcome will be a few more trees not going to the pulp mill.

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Interestingly, the last but one 'VC Sucks' thread berated Steve Simmons and his magazine for going with too many non-technical articles to the neglect of tech content. Personality issues aside (but of course, that is the actual, 'real' issue for most of the people posting), could it be that a lot of folk feel entitled to a magazine that's written just for them and their precise interests? If so, that might be an interesting and constructive dialogue to have here (perhaps a new thread).

Traditional publishing is already in a world of hurt. If we persist on tearing it down for not being all things to all people, the only good outcome will be a few more trees not going to the pulp mill.
    Well, reason resumed her sway!

I am one who has openly criticsed VC here because of delivery problems. I stopped subscribing because of quality and content. But at the same time I would hate to see VC fail. It is the only LF magazine with a technical perspective - as far as I know.

If the layout was professional, and the articles just a little more detailed and in depth, and if delivery problems were fixed and/or a simple email letting subscribers know if there are going to be delays - then I would re-subscribe in a second.

I want to support any traditional magazine. Hopefully VC can solve these problems and it does thrive forever.
    Be a slave to technology, or shoot film.
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com
    www.photorepair.com.au

No question. Print publications still provide a valuable service for photographers. People are always more impressed with copies of my photographs published in magazines than in the same images on web sites. The hard copy has credibility that the on-line image often lacks.

I am a very long-time subscriber to View Camera and woulld like to see it survive because it has a unique history in that it is the only magazine still published in the US devoted to LF photography. And that has been true for many years.

Course, the option is that we can just continue to slash away at each other. My background, as some know, is in academia, from which I retired some three years ago. In that environment the slashing was particulary brutal, often with no restraint because tenured professsors have many job securities that most normal folks lack. There, as in this case, it seems that the prevailing modus of operation was that "the fighting and conflict is so intense because the stakes are so low." Which is to say, we seem to be quibbling about a very small amount of the stuff that goes down the toilet.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post

I've only subscribed to VC for a few years but generally enjoy most of the content each month. The mix of technical articles and images is clearly designed to appeal to the largest possible audience. Quality is a different issue - and high quality costs money. At $25 per year for six issues one certainly cannot do better than SS is currently doing. I praise him for his efforts. Any high quality publication ought to be in the $50 per year category for six issues in this day and age. Publishing is a pretty grinding system of tradeoffs between the subscribers and what they are willing to pay and the LF community is a small audience in the scheme of things.

BTW paper is a renewable resource and its use keeps my pulp cutter friends in Maine in business and feeding their families.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Landscape/Still Life

I was not going to say anything regarding this but since I have an article coming out in this issue... I never asked for any type of payment and nor did I ask for extra copies of the magazine all of that would be nice but just the pleasure of doing it was a great experience for me, If I got some extra cash from SS than hey that's even better but I would settle for just a few extra issues to send to family and friends... Just my 2 cents worth... and no I am not a subscriber...

Hey, how 'bout that "Emulsion" magazine?...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Hey, how 'bout that "Emulsion" magazine?...
    Is this fun for you? To make fun of a publication that failed because the owner nearly died? Hey, how 'bout it, huh? Wow! That's so funny!

Going to Tijuana soon...

I haven't read VC in some time or even flipped through it, but I was wondering have the winners from the VC/Foto3 conference been announced.

Quote Originally Posted by David Spivak-Focus Magazine View Post
    Is this fun for you? To make fun of a publication that failed because the owner nearly died? Hey, how 'bout it, huh? Wow! That's so funny!
    David

at first (since I'm a subscriber to Emulsion) I felt like you, but suddenly realized that may be he didn't know it.

I think this thread has gone a bit too long...