Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forgot to reverse a darkslide after shooting

Forgot to reverse a darkslide after shooting

I went out this morning to take my first shots with my new Chamonix. I hiked, set up my first shot, was very careful, took the shot, and was pleased. I went to location 2 and set it up, took a shoot and then realized when replacing the holder in my bag that I had forgot to reverse the darkslide for shot 1.

Crap.

I had three holders with two sheets of film each. Because of the way they were in my bag, I figure the probability that I double exposed shot 1 on top of shot 2 is about 25%. So what to do now?

I pay about $2.50 a shot to get them processed. What would you do? I've thought of a few options:

• Shoot all 5 remaining sheets. Perhaps shoot doubles of two shots. I will surely lose shot 1, but the rest of the shots will be good.
    • Just eat the cost and develop all 6 sheets. 25% chance of total failure and $15 wasted.
    • Ask the lab to develop the 5 mystery sheets one by one, stopping if they get shot 1.
    • Something I'm not thinking of

Things to do in the future: when taking exposure notes, make sure I include which side of which film holder was used. This will be useful for a number of things and necessary if I want different sheets processed differently in the future. Also necessary if using different kinds of film. Check the damn darkslide before removing the film holder.

Has Been LF Photographer

Re: Forgot to reverse a darkslide after shooting

No solution for you, but I will mention that I numbered all of my film holders right at the beginning. The side containing the film holder number was considered side A and was used first. The other, of course, was side B.

Not a perfect system, but with 100 film holders, it helped to know where I was when I handled them.

Is there a chance you can identify which of the three holders you used? (Perhaps you placed it on top, or beneath the others in your bag?) That would narrow down your exposed sheet to two possible sheets.

Another hint which has saved me before: I noticed that on the holder I used, I didn't return the tiny L-shaped bracket into position (which secures the specific darkslide into place). This second oversight saved me my first one!

I also make exposure notes on each film holder in pencil after every shot. When I unload the shot, i write empty on it. When I reload it, i write in the film type.

You just have to be consistent with whatever you do.
    Robert Oliver

@Deane - I can say for sure that you started out smarter than I. I only have a dozen holders, but the principal is still the same.

@Heroique - I have no idea which one I used. Unfortunately relocking the darkslide is something I am remebering to do.

@Robert - Consistency will be vastly improved after this.

The reversing of the dark slide is just an invitation to a disaster. There are many self adhesive stickers that you can use over and over again (excellent are those for marking pages in a book). Stick them on all holders and then take them off after the exposure (put them so that you have to remove them if you want to remove the dark slide) - like that you eliminate the problem.

If I am working in the studio and shooting many negatives I use bright tape marked with "EXPOSED" on it (from bhphoto).

The tape is wide enough for me to tape the slide to the holder so you can not pull it out again.

I did exactly the same.. on my first shoot.

I did, however, know which slide I'd used. So I just shot the current shot twice ( knowing I'd doubled one ) grabbed another Slide and re-shot the first slide and chalked it down to a £2.50 lesson learnt.

thechrisproject, such confusion is a very good sign. It means you were so excited about the scene that your mind was preoccupied with the image rather than the mechanics of picture taking. If you can keep this approach up you are assured of an occasional great image amongst the double exposures.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.