Thread: vendor experience

vendor experience

There are so few places to get equipment and supplies for LF. I had an experience yesterday with an online vendor who comes highly recommended from this forum, that left a nasty taste in my mouth. Am I am expecting too much:

I ordered 10 used 8x10 film holders and some other misc. parts/pieces to get me going 8x10. Over $500 - not a huge order for this company I am sure, but not $20 either. I ordered them 2AM Wednesday morning. Paid for two day shipping, and put a note on the order (in the spot to do so when placing an order). My note said "if for any reason you can not deliver this shipment to me by Friday, April 17, please call or email me right away" and i put my email, and phone number.

I figured they should get the order Wednesday morning, process and ship by Wednesday afternoon, and I should get package by Friday. I would have paid overnight shipping if for some reason they could not get the order ready until Thursday, thus the note.

I got a call yesterday, Thursday, at 4:30 PM from this company saying they do not have any 8x10 film holders. This company denotes items on their website they feel you should call to check the availability on. There was no such indication on the film holders, and they were marked "New Arrival". The system let me order 10. I am not bitching about them not having the film holders, what upsets me is them not calling right away to let me know they didn't have them. Instead they left it in limbo until it was too late to order from somewhere else to get Friday delivery. I was expecting package to be delivered Friday since I had not heard anything either Wednesday or all day Thursday until they called at 4:30.

Second time something like this has happened with the same company. I'm done. Am I being unreasonable?

Octogenarian

Re: vendor experience

At least they called you.

Most vendors wouldn't even bother to call.

Is there some reason that you didn't place the order by phone?

and the kicker was, the guy who called to tell me to say no film holders, was a jerk off. before i said anything. then when i said "cancel the order" he said "ok, order canceled". and that was it. no apology, no how can we make this right, no can we overnight you the other things on the order. no nothing.

hey Gem, I never place orders over the phone if the company has a web interface set up to place the order online. I figure it should be more accurate this way, if you follow their rules. If they have the interface to choose items, put in payment/shipping information, there should be no need to call. But, if it is a smaller outfit, with a list of things for sale, and they say call to order, I call to order.

the other places I order supplies equipment from online, never a problem. everything is smooth. and there are numerous places: KEH, igor's camera, adorama, freestyle, i even order from B&H sometimes. never a problem over three years. i often overnight ship things from these places

Octogenarian

Hi Steve,

I also usually place my orders on the web. Have one coming from KEH and another from B&H, as we speak.

However, if I need an item overnight, or have a deadline, I call to make sure the vendor has the item in stock and the ability to ship it immediately.

I don't blame you for feeling ticked off. I have had similar experiences with KEH and B&H, yet I still do business with them. I no longer do business with Midwest, but for a different reason.

Gem - KEH has been good to me so far. It is probably just a matter of time though.

I probably should have called to double check. But it was 2AM when I placed the order. If there was anything funny about "call to check status" or anything out of the ordinary I would have defiantly called the next morning when they opened.

I will just stick with the places I know don't have problems processing orders and or contacting me if there is a problem. Hopefully I don't run out of places to order things

It has been my experience over years of mail order, that if a product is used, and possibly of limited quantity, even though not said, you should ALWAYS confirm availability over the phone. This is regardless of vendor.