Thread: Gandolfi Variant 4x5 User Input

Gandolfi Variant 4x5 User Input

Would any Gandolfi Variant users care to comment about their cameras? I'm plann ing on purchasing a new camera, mostly for travel. Subject wise I shoot about 5 0% architectural and 50% landscape. I was thinking about the Variant Level 3.

Thanks alot.

I have a Gandolfi Variant LII in 8x10 and I love it, for the price it is a good buy! Another thing, check with the manufacturer first before you buy it from a US dealer, I think their prices are better direct.URL www.gandolficorfield.co.uk Good luck!

There was a review of the Gandolfi in "View Camera" magazine several years (I think) ago. Back issues are usually available if you contact the magazine.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The Gandolfi Variant III, at 4 kg., might be kinda heavy for travel. Otherwise it looks like a great camera.

4 Kg of an excellent camera . :-) At this moment i own one variant level III in american black walnut and I'm quite happy with it . Before this one I onwned the black version. I bought them directely from Gandolfi and their service and support is excellent.

greetings

Manuel

Hi Kevin,

I have a Gandolfi Variant L3. It's 8.8 Lbs heavy without board and lens. May NOT be an ideal camera for travel, but I have done it (a very good workout). You can put on a bag bellows for your architectural work. The controls are convenient and lock down solid. I don't know what you concerns are, so feel free to email me. Cheer,

I have the black version and love it except when hiking more than 6 miles with a full load of equipment. 3 lenses, various filters, spot meter, darkcloth, polaroid holder, 18 film holders, Velvia QLs, various other things, along with water, ect. About 60 lbs. But the camera is heavy. But is it ever versatile. Maybe a Wisner or other modern camera would be lighter but they may not have the movements of a Gandolfi. Without a bag bellows it can accept a 90mm lens with modest movements. I love mine. James