Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ries wooden tripod vs Manfrotto aluminum

Ries wooden tripod vs Manfrotto aluminum

I want to get some ideas/comments from the board about wooden vs aluminum tripods. Please advise me?

I recently acquired an Omega 45E monorail 4x5 camera and a Ries No. 100 tripod with Bogen 3047 head. My other tripod is an old Bogen 3021 which I have loved and I use with my Nikon D40 and Rolleicord.

With information I gathered from this board, I bought the Manfrotto 410 gear head and I love it. However, because of the large top plate on the Ries (about 5 inches in diameter) I cannot mount the 410 on it. The adjustment knob on the side extends BELOW the bottom of the head, so I can't screw the head on the top plate.

I was able to fit the 410 to my 3021 and I have been very impressed with that set up. But, I am uncomfortable with the Omega perched atop the 3021 legs; I would prefer a bigger diameter tube legset.

What I am thinking about at this point is selling or trading the Ries for a Manfrotto large tripod like the 028, 058 or 475, then mount my 410 head to those aluminum legs. I prefer the aluminum legs; I just want the bigger tubes for a more stable base.

What would be a good asking price for a used Ries No. 100? I have no idea of the age of the tripod. The condition is good, but the finish could be sanded and restained or varnished to make it look great. Functionally, it is incredible; I feel like Ansel Adams setting it up.

Re: Ries wooden tripod vs Manfrotto aluminum

Do not get rid of the Ries 100. I have two and bought the 4 inch round plate from Ries and replaced the large plate. I can now use any tripod head i wish. Make sure to get 1/4 or 3/8 screw that you need. The 4 inch plate reduces the overall weight of the tripod. I use the modified tripod with cameras up to 8x10 and a number of different tripod heads.

Preston

Octogenarian

I have an Omega 45E, along with several other LF cameras. I use my 45E with a Calumet 6X9 roll film back and 10 inch monorail.

That camera is right at home on top of my old Bogen 3021 tripod legs with a large, heavy Bogen ball head. A Bogen 410 geared head would make that outfit even more ideal. The 3021, with properly adjusted locks, is stronger than it looks

I also have two Bogen 475 tripod leg sets, with pan-tilt heads, that I use for my 5X7 and 8X10 cameras. They are massive tripods. Overkill for the Toyo/Omega 45E.

You should be able to sell that set of Reis 100 legs for a very good price. Wouldn't be surprised if you haven't already received offers for it.

I used a Calumet CC-402 on my 3021 with no issues too. I used it with a 3030 head with an RC2 plate and with an Acratech head. But a set of wood legs would sure be nice to have too.

Mel-

I would keep the Ries. Many photographers don't know how to use a wood tripod. You keep the legs loose and kick or drag them to set the camera level and at the right height. Then you set the spikes. Very stable and much faster than using a metal pod.

I agree with those advocating keeping the wooden tripod. I have the smaller Ries though and also have a J250 double tilt head. I also bought both the 3/8 and 1/4 20 threads so any camera can be used on it. I had a Bogen 3036 tripod with the Omega E
    and despised both. Carrying the camera and tripod in a plywood box to the top of Seneca rock in West Virginia was when I decided to get rid of the Omega......replaced with a Gandolfi. The tripod works well even with my 8x10.

Here's an option of mounting the your loved Manfrotto geared head to the Ries top plate. In an older Manfrotto catalog, they used to offer a 3/8" threaded adapter plate, think of a hockey puck with 3/8" threaded holes top and bottom. The diameter of this puck-like adapter looked to be about the same diameter as the bottom plate of your 410 head. And the adapter's 3/4" or so thickness, would raise the 410 head up off the Ries baseplate enough to comfortable operate the bottom 360 rotation knob.

In the catalog, Manfrotto refers to it as a 3/8" FEMALE ADAPTER, item #3154.

Thanks for the responses.

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. Maybe I should be looking at a smaller tripod instead of a bigger one.

If the Bogen 3021 & Manfrotto 410 gear head will work for the Omega 45E, I already have the right tripod. I know it works as I have tried it. I just need to buy new flip levers for it as one has snapped off. I just thought I needed bigger legs.

What I am really needing is a small tripod to carry on my motorcycle for shooting with my D40 and Rolleicord. I'm thinking about the Manfrotto 190xProB. I am also currently without a light meter which means I would have to use the "sunny 16 rule" to shoot with my 4x5.

Perhaps I should sell the Ries and use the money for a new light meter and the 190xProB? How much, in your opinion, could I sell it for?

If I still had my Calumet Wood Field camera, I would most assuredly keep the Ries. There is just something about a wooden field camera on wooden legs!

Is anyone in need of a good wooden tripod?

Do you find the 410 head controls stiff? I saw one in a camera shop and they were really tight. Replace the head plate on the Ries and your good to go with any head.

Wood is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Add this to the fact that wood dampens vibrations more effectively and the contest is over.

Wood and only wood for me.