Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Contact printing question

  1. #1
    runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Beech Grove Indiana
    Posts
    2,277

    Contact printing question

    My thoughts are to buy a 16x20" contact print frame, as recommended by B&S to print 11x14 negs...

    My question is, what paper would you use to contact print to..? Is there a big difference in paper quality.? I will be using 11x14 negs from Ilford HP5

    Since the paper acts as a border will that dictate a special kind of paper..?

    should I stay will the same brand..? any tips on centering my 11x14 neg in the 16x20" contact print frame ?

    I guess it all depends on how I want to present the photos.. How do you guys do it ? glass frames ,glassless??

    regards Steve
    Last edited by Steve M Hostetter; 13-Apr-2009 at 16:53.

  2. #2
    おせわに なります! Andrew O'Neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada, eh!
    Posts
    4,359

    Re: Contact printing question

    You don't need to buy such a frame. Make an 11x14 window inside a piece of 16x20 inch black construction paper. Lay this on top of your printing paper so that the edges all line up. Stick your big negative inside the window, lay down your cover glass (which only needs to be slightly larger than your negative), and Bob's your uncle.
    I've done this to centre 4x5 negs on 8x10 paper.
    I've used Oriental VC and Ilford MG. Check and see if Lodima is cut to that size...it's a real contact printing paper and really nice. I've got a box of 8x10.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Contact printing question

    i'll second Lodima. Michael Smith is having it cut in 16x20 and other sizes. www.michaelandpaula.com for the details. A beautiful contact printing paper.

    I use a vacuum easel to print my 7x17 negatives on 8x20 paper. works like a charm and much more efficient than using a contact printing frame.

    Good luck

  4. #4
    runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Beech Grove Indiana
    Posts
    2,277

    Re: Contact printing question

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    You don't need to buy such a frame. Make an 11x14 window inside a piece of 16x20 inch black construction paper. Lay this on top of your printing paper so that the edges all line up. Stick your big negative inside the window, lay down your cover glass (which only needs to be slightly larger than your negative), and Bob's your uncle.
    I've done this to centre 4x5 negs on 8x10 paper.
    I've used Oriental VC and Ilford MG. Check and see if Lodima is cut to that size...it's a real contact printing paper and really nice. I've got a box of 8x10.
    Do I run into newton ring issues..?

  5. #5
    runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Beech Grove Indiana
    Posts
    2,277

    Re: Contact printing question

    Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    i'll second Lodima. Michael Smith is having it cut in 16x20 and other sizes. www.michaelandpaula.com for the details. A beautiful contact printing paper.

    I use a vacuum easel to print my 7x17 negatives on 8x20 paper. works like a charm and much more efficient than using a contact printing frame.

    Good luck
    wow, that grade 2 16x20 paper is expensive whats the difference in grade 2 over grade 3?

  6. #6
    runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Beech Grove Indiana
    Posts
    2,277

    Re: Contact printing question

    I noticed that the 12-2"x 17-2" anti newton glass is $137.50 for 2mm thickness

  7. #7
    おせわに なります! Andrew O'Neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada, eh!
    Posts
    4,359

    Re: Contact printing question

    A sheet of 1/4 inch glass is heavy enough to hold the negative flat against the paper. The odd time that I've had issues with Newton Rings was solved with a sheet of frosted mylar (from local art store) between negative and glass.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Contact printing question

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    wow, that grade 2 16x20 paper is expensive whats the difference in grade 2 over grade 3?

    Steve, Lodima is about 10% more expensive than Ilford Gallery, so it isn't out of this world expensive. It is actually less expensive then the Berger papers. The grade 3 has a typo. It is actually 50 sheet boxes for $279, not 100 sheet boxes for $279. If the cost of 16x20 is too high, then print your 11x14 negatives on 11x14 paper :-) THAT will cut the cost in 1/2!

    Best,

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bucks County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    120

    Re: Contact printing question

    We have had requests for 14 x 17 paper, too, and have listed it as one of our available sizes. Assuming there is sufficient demand, we'll have it in that size.

    Michael A. Smith

  10. #10
    runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Beech Grove Indiana
    Posts
    2,277

    Re: Contact printing question

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    We have had requests for 14 x 17 paper, too, and have listed it as one of our available sizes. Assuming there is sufficient demand, we'll have it in that size.

    Michael A. Smith
    Hello Michael, yeah,the 14x17" paper would give me a 3" border .. I'm really excited about this paper,,,the prints on your site are delicious can you put me down for a box of 50 grade 2?

Similar Threads

  1. Contact Printing Frames
    By Really Big Cameras in forum New Products
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 27-Oct-2011, 18:55
  2. Contact Printing Question
    By John Kasaian in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2007, 10:22
  3. contact printing frame opinions
    By Richard Rankin in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 6-May-2002, 19:43
  4. Announcement: Michael Smith/Paular Chamlee AZO contact Printing Workshop in SF Bay Area Confirmed
    By Todd Frederick in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9-Dec-2001, 22:10

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •