Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Ansel shot and why.

Re: Favorite Ansel shot and why.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Tetons and the Snake River

It makes me want to be there!
    Me too. And I've been there. Ansel was lucky they had cut the trees down back then. They are starting to get too tall and block the view of the river nowadays.

"Whether true or not, it appears that some of the photos were just a matter of being there at the right time with the right light. For example, Clearing Winter Storm is an awesome photograph."

According to 40 examples this was his 34th or so trip to that spot in such conditions. Sometimes it is luck but usually it is persistance that gets the shot.

I like many of the photographs already mentioned, and others, but the one that is my personal favourite and which did more than any other to convince me to try large format photography is Mt. Williamson, Sierra Nevada, from Manzanar, California;

Mt. Williamson: Dunno if it's his best image, but as a teenager, I saw it in a copy of "Popular Photography" magazine, and it put me on this pathway.

If someone said I could have any Adams photograph I want, it would be Moonrise. So many incredible elements came together in that photograph. The Sangre De Cristo mountain range with those unreal lenticular clouds, sandwiched between the dark sky with the moon, and the cemetery foreground. I remember seeing it in San Francisco about 35 years ago and just stood there for a very long time trying to absorb it.
    Evening Cloud, Ellery Lake would be number two
    -Brad

It is impossible for me to select my most favorite image of Ansel Adams' but Winter Sunrise: Sierra Nevada from Lone Pine is one I enjoy. I have been to Lone Pine many times and I have yet to find the location from which he made the image. I would like to just stand in the same spot and take it all in. Why here, why not 100 feet one way or the other. What lens and camera did he use, etc...

If someone knows the exact location I would really appreciate a private message.

I don't want to make an image from the same spot just admire it.

Gary

I was admiring the Aspen photograph at the AA retrospective at MOMA several years ago. A young couple approached: SHE:" oooh that's wonderful " HE: " yes but you can tell just where he hung his floodlights to make the shot." ME: I was tempted---but I remained speechless.

Coming out of "lurk mode" for a moment to cast my humble vote for "Rose And Driftwood." I have always been amazed by how much was done with two objects that came to hand unplanned and spawned a moment of creativity. I saw an exhibition of Adam's work 20+ years ago and "Rose and Driftwood" was one of the two images that I remember the best.

I have one of the inexpensive prints of "Rose and Driftwood" hanging above my desk and I study it often trying to fix in my mind how I should SEE detail instead of just going for the more obvious drama or overt shapes of a scene or object. So far I have proved to be a slow learner.

Doug

Edward Weston, Carmel Highlands I suppose I like it because it's out of character for Ansel, he had to momentarily step out of his comfort zone, and it is excellent.....

Merced River, Cliffs, Autumn Quintessentially Ansel. I like the shots without sky. Simply a gorgeous picture.

David Gainer

Clearing Winter Storm, but I'll admit I've only seen some of his many works. I like the mood and action in the image. When looking at it I feel like I am almost there.