Thread: 5x7 Film Holder bag Recommendations

5x7 Film Holder bag Recommendations

Has anyone found a good lightly padded bag for carrying 5x7 filmholders?

Dave Karp

Re: 5x7 Film Holder bag Recommendations

I found an insulated nylon lunchbox at Rite-Aid that works well. I saw some at Target recently that probably would work too.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    I found an insulated nylon lunchbox at Rite-Aid that works well. I saw some at Target recently that probably would work too.
    Thanks Dave. I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    I got my nylon lunchboxs at Wally World. They make great 5x7 film holder bags. Just take a holder with you to be sure you find one that fits properly.

I just bought a brand-new 5x7 filmholder bag, off Ebay, from Quality Camera in Atlanta. Holds 6-8 5x7 holders and is very well padded. Available new (two colors available), I went for the dark green. About $35 plus shipping, I'm not affiliated with them, just a happy customer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

I use two systems, one for shipping (in my checked luggage but without film) and the other for carrying in the field. The first is a Martha Stewart storage container that I got at K-Mart. The latter is an insulated lunch bag that I bought at Meijers. California Innovations has a web site as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I just bought a brand-new 5x7 filmholder bag, off Ebay, from Quality Camera in Atlanta. Holds 6-8 5x7 holders and is very well padded. Available new (two colors available), I went for the dark green. About $35 plus shipping, I'm not affiliated with them, just a happy customer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported
    I bought one of these up last week and I'm very underwhelmed - it has little padding and is really not "thought out" - it's a bag with a strap sewed on it - frankly a complete rip-off for $30. I have a small cooler I picked up for $5, threw away the hard insert and it's much better made than the $30 MC photo case which Quality Camera sells.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Zeichner View Post
    California Innovations has a web site as I recall.
    In my experience, the California Innovations and Arctic Zone coolers are the most well made, and not always the most expensive. Its just that they are not always available locally, or in the right size when I do find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I just bought a brand-new 5x7 filmholder bag, off Ebay . . . . About $35 plus shipping, I'm not affiliated with them, just a happy customer.
    I have found lots of nice cooler bags available for around $15 or less. The "photo bags" I have seen are always much more expensive and not necessarily more functional. The nicest bags I have, from California Innovations, are made of nice material on the outside, and a "silverized" interior. Since the bags are designed to keep things cool, they are good for holding film in places that get hotter than you would like (for a while anyway).

I carry mine in a canvas tote bag that I bought for a few dollars as a donation to a local botanical garden. It gives me a good feeling whenever I use it.

For my 4X5 - its also just big enough for 5X7 I use a padded pistol/ammunition bag from Uncle Mikes. This was designed to hold ammunition and works great on film holders, has padding for protection/insulation, and rubber feet! Best of all it costs all of $30.00 so you are not paying for a "Photography Bag" at rip off prices!

I also got one of the roller Tactical bags which is un-padded and can be carried on an airline. This was around $45.00!

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/...range_bag.html

You can find this type of gear at gun shops!

Everything is Analog!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.