Thread: How should bellows be stored? Open? Closed?

How should bellows be stored? Open? Closed?

All,

I have a question about bellows, specifically, Linhof, Voigtlander and Zeiss Super Ikonta.

How should these cameras be stored? Bellows open? Closed? Occasionally opened?

The right answer is of course "go use them to shoot frequently". But honestly, they do stay stored for lengthy periods (months).

So, what is the best way to store them?

Vick

Re: How should bellows be stored? Open? Closed?

Technikas and the Technikardan are stored bellows compressed as are all Wista folding cameras. Linhof Kardan re, GT, GTL, etc. are designed so the standards can swing parallel to the rail for storage and transport and the bellows held closed with a rubber band. That is also how the cameras are shipped from the factory. the M679 is stored with the bellows compressed.

I guess compressed, because if open the bellows are subject also to the drag of gravity, putting stress on the front and rear, sagging the centre - like the nasty condition things you see on ebay.

If the bellows are compressed there is less likelihood of damp, dirt, oxygen getting into every part of the material, so it's lifespan might be a tiny bit longer.

I might be totally wrong.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Great question Vick. I hope we can find someone with a PhD in bellowsology to give us a bonifide answer.

Here's what I do. For LF bellows I try to store about "1/2 open - 1/2 closed". My logic is that it is a 'relaxed" position". I've seen some synthetic bellows (not cameras -- pneumatic systems) where storing closed leads to cracking and leaks in the corners and folds, and where the bellows material outgasses and makes the folds stick together. For folding cameras, however, I tend store in the closed postion... which I believe puts the bellows in a compressed state.. in violation of my own theory.

As Ash says, "I could be totally wrong" too!

The problem comes from keeping it in one position for a very long time, more than which position it stays in. If you're concerned about a camera, then take it out and work it every now and then. Move the bellows and fire the shutters.
    As with most mechanical equipment, sitting without use is, itself, the most damaging thing that happens, almost.

JY

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Technikas and the Technikardan are stored bellows compressed as are all Wista folding cameras. Linhof Kardan re, GT, GTL, etc. are designed so the standards can swing parallel to the rail for storage and transport and the bellows held closed with a rubber band. That is also how the cameras are shipped from the factory. the M679 is stored with the bellows compressed.
    as is the case for pretty much all LF cameras i have encountered

Quote Originally Posted by z_photo View Post
    as is the case for pretty much all LF cameras i have encountered
    Then that should pretty much answer the question as the manufacturer has no way of knowing how long a camera will be packed in the box in their warehouse after they make it. We have no way of knowing how long a camera will be in our warehouse after we receive it and the dealer has no way of knowing how long it will be in their warehouse after buying it.

As a further note neither Linhof or Wista make any statement about not keeping their cameras closed with the bellows attached.

As long as the camera is stored in a clean, dry place with in a normal humidity range and is used periodically there is no problem storing a camera that is made to close with the bellows closed. Periodically means don't put it in the closet or in the attic and not use it for 30 years.

When an old clock maker loves his clocks, he winds or looks after each clock every day. It may drive you nutty but exercise each camera once a week, or month, but do it, open & close case, exercise bed & bellows, cock & trip shutter, open & close diaphragm, prevent closet mold by exposing to sunlight, carefully, several times a year..
    Bernie

I leave the bag bellows on my camera with swing, shift, and tilt movements loosened. That helps to avoid any internal strains on the camera and bellows that might result from backpack stresses. Also, no corners to worry about on the bag bellows.

My normal camera bellows stays protected in a cardboard box fit to size. I think that closed is its natural state.