Thread: FP4+, FX2, Rodinal

FP4+, FX2, Rodinal

I have been reading the "Film Developing Cookbook," and thought I would like to give one of these combinations a try. From what I have read, the FX2 will probab ly be a little sharper, but have more pronounced grain. I understand that the cu rrent Rodinal, is not the Rodinal of old. After reading the mixing instructions, I don't think I want to mix my own. There is a German site, that is supposed to be selling the original formula, but I went there, and punched all the buttons and couldn't find any chemicals. I do like the fact that the FX2 is something th at I can mix up on my own, so in case I really like it, I don't have to worry ab out it going away. Most of my work will be landscapes and found objects. The rep ort on the FX2 indicates that it might be too sharp for portrait work, at least under studio lights. Portraits are a very small part of my photo work, and then mostly outdoors. Any one tried either of these combinations? What did you think of them? Thanks-----JimJ

FP4+, FX2, Rodinal

I can't comment on FX2

FP4+ in Rodinal has worked very well for me. Use diluted 1:75 or higher, @ 75F. For minus development use higher dilutions, and decrease agitation so as to take advantage of compensating effect. Disadvantage of Rodinal is at least a 2/3 stop loss of film speed.

It keeps very well once bottle opened.

The edge effect can be outstanding e.g when subject consists of wet rocks.

FP4+, FX2, Rodinal

Jim,

I have used both FX2 and Rodinal for FP4+. The Rodinal will give sharper images, a longer tonal range, and less grain than FX2. Dont worry that its not the original formula.

FP4+, FX2, Rodinal

Thanks all for the responses. I don't know where my head was at. Naturally the best idea is to do a side by side comparison. I'm not in this for money or glory. I am in this for enjoyment. There is no reason to cut corners. This is a hobby for me, so a little bit of experimenting should be exciting. Thanks again-----JimJ