Thread: Paper...

Paper...

Greetings everyone,

Now, I am ponding among the photo rag/ silver rag/portfolio/ and the moab natural rag.
    I got all the sample packs from H and Moab, as well as innova. but I can't find the Museco sample pack here in Ottawa. is the silver rag a glossy paper or actually a luster one? how is the dmax compare to the photo rag, and sharpness-wise?

I am more interested in the silver rag to be honest, don't know why...

Thanks

Andrew

Re: Paper...

Dear Andrew,

My paper choice with Epson K3 inks happens to be Museo Silver Rag, while using Imageprint's RIP and the associated profile only. The slight cream coloured cotton Silver Rag paper has a mild lustre finish, and that excellent paper can produce amazing images, with fabulously deep blacks. You will not be disappointed...

My alternative though, and an alternative that I tend to prefer, happens to be with Jon Cone and Larry Danque, where they finally convinced me last week to try Jon's K7 Neutral inks again, along with the recently released Canson Rag Photographique paper. The Canson Rag Photographique paper is obviously a matte paper, where the paper compares to Silver Rag in colour only. Jon and Larry continuously prove that if I use Jon's inkset, where Jon's ink is imbedded in a quality printing paper, my images have a depth and clarity that are very difficult to describe. I send my completed files to Jon and, or Larry, where they simply push my files through their tuned printers, and return my finished image carefully packaged, protected, and insured.

As a side note, from a previous post, I mentioned that I abandoned the Hahnemuhle 308 paper because of a quality issue and yellow stains, and although I could not continue with that paper, I still adored the 308 using Jon Cone's inks. But, Jon managed to convince me to try the Canson Rag Photographique, and because of Jon's effort, I believe that the Canson paper and K7 Neutral ink combination will succeed, going forward. I use both ink and paper combinations, but I prefer Jon and Larry's printing process. If you have a moment, the latter printing process might be an interesting avenue that you could explore, too.

jim k

nice! This is the guy I want to talk to.:-0

Thanks Jim!
    Yes, I did read your previous post about your switching to Sliver rag from the Photo rag. I love the Matte paper, but don't like the texture on the dark-ink area, its dull to me. and I also want something slightly sharper. I will give SR a try first, then go from there..

It will be nice to see your prints printed on both methods, the K3 on SR and K7 on the newer french paper...

BTW, the price of SR in Ottawa is a RIPE off! its 30%+ more expensive that in adorama. $170CND .vs. $99US. I just can't do my part to stimulate the local economy I guess.

Andrew

Dear Andrew,

Contact me directly, since I have three printers that I totally entrust with my finished work, and if you wish to have an image that absolutely sparkles with Silver Rag, while using K3 inks, do so...

My K3 ink and Silver Rag printer's name is Sam, where Sam happens to be the only printer that produces my K3 work, and where I will give you Sam's contact phone number if you so desire. Matter of fact, if anyone else wants his name, and phone number, I will give it to you off line. Sam prefers to do business by referral, so I respect his request.

Printing an image with Cone inks produces an image that will truly amaze you. That said, I must separate my K3 ink images from my Cone ink images because the blacks are totally different, where I will not show a mixed set of ink images within the same gallery. If you see a Cone ink image alone, you will not notice the deep black difference, unless you have a K3 ink image beside it, where this happens to be a fatal flaw among tinkering image makers that constantly compare the K3 inks to a matte finished image, whether it is made with Cone inks or not. The difference is not subtle, but the Cone inks produce a truly amazing fabulous image, and again, an image that has a depth I cannot begin to describe.

Jon Cone on the East Coast, and Phil Bard on the West Coast, are my Cone ink printers of choice...

Artists of The World, in Calgary, have my images, and if you request one of my images to view in their Toronto Gallery, I am certain that they will ship one there. Then again, you could always talk to Greg Lockery, since he owns three of my K3 images, too.

jim k