Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Importing from the US from Badger Graphic

Re: Importing from the US from Badger Graphic

We have to accept your word that Jeff agreed to this but given as you remind everyone it is not just against Badger Graphic's stated policy -

"We do not lower the value of packages we ship for customs declarations."

it is also against the law. The insurance offered by the courier would be on the declared value not on the full value of the goods.

I have dealt with Jeff recently and would never have contemplated requesting that he lower the value, he's got too much to lose - what's the loss of one sale compared to his possible conviction for fraud and his business reputation ?

Vanannan

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greeves View Post
    I was thinking of a Canham JMC810. I did briefly own a wooden Canham, which developed a fault and the retailer wouldn't obtain a replacement for me and has refunded my money.

One of the joins on the Canham had come unstuck and the wood split as a result. I had the camera for just three weeks. Hens, my decision to try the all metal camera.
    Paul
    It is not my wish to throw a spanner into the works but I have had a JMC for about 5 years which replaced my Devere Devon 10x8, the JMC is a good camera but in my opinion has rigidity issues, I recently purchased a Sinar Norma 10x8 on Ebay which is nice and rigid although maybe not quite as portable as the JMC, if you have not used a JMC I would suggest you try and locate a user in your area and ask if you cal have a look before purchasing.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    We have to accept your word that Jeff agreed to this but given as you remind everyone it is not just against Badger Graphic's stated policy -

"We do not lower the value of packages we ship for customs declarations."

it is also against the law. The insurance offered by the courier would be on the declared value not on the full value of the goods.

I have dealt with Jeff recently and would never have contemplated requesting that he lower the value, he's got too much to lose - what's the loss of one sale compared to his possible conviction for fraud and his business reputation ?
    All valid points. I would have purchased locally but there is no longer an Ebony dealer in Australia. When I asked Jeff I provided every opportunity to refuse.

Thankfully Jeff has come through with a solution that I find completely satisfactory. All's well that ends well.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lakin View Post
    Paul
    It is not my wish to throw a spanner into the works but I have had a JMC for about 5 years which replaced my Devere Devon 10x8, the JMC is a good camera but in my opinion has rigidity issues, I recently purchased a Sinar Norma 10x8 on Ebay which is nice and rigid although maybe not quite as portable as the JMC, if you have not used a JMC I would suggest you try and locate a user in your area and ask if you cal have a look before purchasing.

Regards
    Hey Tony. I don't think Paul has much of chance to heed your warning on the Rigidity issues .He ordered the camera 2 years ago. The OP started this thread in April 2009.

Vanannan

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Hey Tony. I don't think Paul has much of chance to heed your warning on the Rigidity issues .He ordered the camera 2 years ago. The OP started this thread in April 2009.
    Yes, I should have checked back, I have even contributed a post a couple of years back must have been all the excitement due to the royal wedding

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    Just a word of warning to anyone thinking of importing into Australia from Badger Graphic, although Jeff agreed to keep the customs declaration down to under $900 (I'm aware this is against their policy - and the law) and I reiterated no less than 4 times that it was the only way I could afford it, Jeff still declared the package as full value.

I am now stuck with a $600 customs fee and trying to work out a fair solution with Jeff as I feel I was somewhat misled by him.
    Didn't you read my post?

Serve you right, thanks for helping to pay my pension.

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    Just a word of warning to anyone thinking of importing into Australia from Badger Graphic, although Jeff agreed to keep the customs declaration down to under $900 (I'm aware this is against their policy - and the law) and I reiterated no less than 4 times that it was the only way I could afford it, Jeff still declared the package as full value.

I am now stuck with a $600 customs fee and trying to work out a fair solution with Jeff as I feel I was somewhat misled by him.
    As a matter of curiosity, what was the value of your order? It seems to me that a $600 Customs fee is exorbitant - a fine maybe?

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    25% is the Norwegian VAT equivalent...
    I looked up Norwegian tax rates. The top income tax is 48% plus a 14% payroll tax totalling 62%.

So a $2000 camera costs $2500 including the VAT for which one would have to make $6,580 pre-tax to buy a $2000 camera.

Ouch.

I dont see where you were misled. Nobody forced you to buy. You already benefited by paying no gst or taxes on the first AUD1000, a silly limit that places local australian business at a huge disadvantage in the global marketplace. Not to mention the strength of a currency built on mines and other dirty stuff that happens in the middle of nowhere and which touches your life in no meaningful way except financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    This is commonly known as fraud and is a well known ploy to ''our'' Customs and Excise authorities. The penalties are not worth the risk.
    (emphasis added)

Yes, spoken like a petty little official with the mind of an apparatchik...how predictably sad