Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Importing from the US from Badger Graphic

Vanannan

Re: Importing from the US from Badger Graphic

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greeves View Post
    Hi Tony,

Out of interest, what is your opinion of the JMC810? Is it as difficult to fold away as the wooden equivalent? Is the back rigid enough to remain still in a moderate wind? Your knowledge of the camera would be appreciated.
    Hi Paul
    I find the JMC 10x8 behaves very well in a moderate winds obviously there are other factors to take into account like tripod stability and bellows extension, if I am using my 600mm lens I usually shield the camera with anything available ie brolly, sheet of anything rigid, lastolite reflector or my body.
    The camera takes a little getting used to, after using mine for about 18 months I traded my Linhof in for the DLC45 and have been very happy with that too.
    Rgarding import duties I guess we are really lucky here in the IOM as I have purchased quite a few items from the US and Asia and have never been charged any import duty.
    I hope this helps
    Regards
    Tony

I've bought a camera and several lenses Fuji from Badger Graphics, a lens from MidWest photo, film and other items from BH Photo and Freestyle, a lens from Tin Cheung (HK), and several Schneider lenses from Robert White(UK). Only last week my 135mm Rodenstock Sironar S arrived from Badger graphics.

All these places are very reputable and provide excellent service. I now have no troubles buying from overseas. In fact in many ways it is easier. I do not have to get in my car and go anywhere, then wait for the item to be ordered, and a second trip to pick it up. They are now delivered quicker to my doorstep.

Freight is a little expensive, and the only time I loss out is if an item has to be returned. I have to pay the freight costs back to the retailer. This has only happened twice, once with Badger, who provided excellent service and the item was fixed with no hassles and very quickly.
    Be a slave to technology, or shoot film.
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com
    www.photorepair.com.au

Hi Paul

Just thought I'd chuck in my two penny worth. I've bought a few items for both Badger and Midwest Photo, and I've had excellent service from both. No problems with the deliveries either. When buying from the States I add 25% to the sterling value; this is enough to cover the duties, VAT and courier's fee. Up until christmas this year, the exchange rate certainly made it worthwhile, but now the prices come out around the same. So unless it's something I really want, I buy from the UK. HTH

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Shipping outside the USA is horrible, but not the fault of Badger. I live 2 hour drive from Detroit, MI, and to have stuff shipped to me in Canada, be it mail, FedEx, or whomever, costs me - without exaggeration - 3 times more money than having it shipped to Detroit or Port Huron (an hour's drive from me).

As for Badger themselves, I have ordered a camera, film, and a lens (or two) with a single problem. I never have to explain to them about shipping to Canada, they understand right away. Would order from them agian in a heartbeat.

jeo
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

I live an hour's driver from Badger Graphics, and I've been giving Jeff most of my money for years. He's knowledgeable, friendly, responsive to inquiries, and their prices are great. If I need something, Badger is the first place I'll look.

Ron Miller

Paul,

I've ordered from Badger quite a few times and have always been happy. Shipping has also been a bit quicker then I have expected.

Ron

Canham JMC810 is now on order. Should be here is a couple of weeks. I managed to pursued a local dealer to order the camera for the import + duty equivalent.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I live an hour's driver from Badger Graphics, and I've been giving Jeff most of my money for years.
    -snip-

ACK! How do you cope with the temptation? If I lived an hour's drive from Badger, I'd be bankrupt and divorced by now.
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

multiplex

if you are buying from badger ( or maybe anyone else )
    make sure whatever you are getting is on hand, or closeby ..
    a few years ago i bought a toho 5x7 to 4x5 film holder adapter through badger
    and while i haver no complaints ( they didn't charge my credit card until the object arrived from the far east )
    it was a two or three month wait because of a hold-up in customs ...

i am not sure if customs hold ups are still common, i haven't bought anything in ages,
    but it might be something to keep in mind ... if you had planned on using your new-stuffs in the late spring / early summer ...

Just a word of warning to anyone thinking of importing into Australia from Badger Graphic, although Jeff agreed to keep the customs declaration down to under $900 (I'm aware this is against their policy - and the law) and I reiterated no less than 4 times that it was the only way I could afford it, Jeff still declared the package as full value.

I am now stuck with a $600 customs fee and trying to work out a fair solution with Jeff as I feel I was somewhat misled by him.