Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chemistry in small packages

chemistry in small packages

Is it possible to split up a package of d-76 into small zip-lock bags for travel processing? I believe I read somewhere that the chemicals in the mixture separate out so if you do not mix the whole bag you get uneven proportions.

Is there a particular developer where this is not a problem. How about powdered fixer?

I ask because I ruined 40 negatives last year going through the x-ray machine in Jakarta last Christmas, so would prefer just to pack my Orbital and develop on-site. I have an old book from the fifties on black and white development and it shows a guy using one-shot sachets of a universal developer, but I guess those are not available any more?

Cheers, Tim

Re: chemistry in small packages

No.

You would need to mix your own for that.

For fixer I suppose you could use plain hypo which is just one chemical dissolved in water but developers are mixtures of chemicals that cannot be accurately subdivided once mixed in solid form.

ask because I ruined 40 negatives last year going through the x-ray machine in Jakarta last Christmas,
    Carry on?? You didn't stick your film in with your check-in baggage, did you? Those X-rays will kill your film, but carry on machines shouldn't, unless you were using very high speed film.

I wouldn't recommend splitting up D-76. I tried this once with Xtol. Big mistake. Just stick a couple of small packages of D-76 and a fixer in your check in. Take along a few empty 500ml bottled water bottles that you can keep the mixed up solutions in. Make sure you label them, so you don't mix them up or heaven forbid, drink. Use plain water stop bath. I did this when I travelled to the UK a few years ago. It was kind of fun developing in hotel bathrooms at night...

Chemistry used to be available in phial and tablet forms, I've flown with small quantities of Pyrocat HD & fixer along with a Jobo tank to process my 5x4's while abroad.

However in general I usually just fly with film in carry-on and have had no problems.

Ian

Is it possible to split up a package of d-76 into small zip-lock bags for travel processing?
    Yes it is, provided you take all of them with you and recombine them before mixing. As long as a one-liter package is mixed into a one-liter solution, everything will be fine.
    If you're asking whether you can take just a quarter of a D-76 bag with you and mix a 250ml solution, no, you mustn't do that. Kodak put enough metol, hydroquinone, sulfite, etc. for one liter inside the bag, but they don't guarantee that the mix is homogeneous. Splitting the bag in two won't guarantee that each individual component will be split in two. You could end up with the entire amount of metol in one bag and the entire amount of borax in the other.

Is there a particular developer where this is not a problem.
    Yes. Liquid concentrates. HC-110 concentrate or Rodinal won't mind if you take just a few milliliters with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Is it possible to split up a package of d-76 into small zip-lock bags for travel processing?

That "powder in a zip lock bag packaging" should be quite interesting to any one who sees it, (and they will) and well, you may be "detained" a Looooooonnnggg time before they can determine it is "just D-76".

So dont take it out of the original packaging.

That "powder in a zip lock bag packaging" should be quite interesting to any one who sees it, (and they will) and well, you may be "detained" a Looooooonnnggg time before they can determine it is "just D-76".
    This reminds me of an old joke. A security guy at an airport spots a dubious plastic bag, filled with a white powder, in the carry-on bag of a traveler. Confident that he has just caught a drug dealer, he opens it, takes some powder on his finger and tastes it. Then he says:
    "Hmmm... Cocaine, isn't it?"
    "No. Antrax."

Sorry about the off-topic.

Okay, so it does not seem possible to take small amounts of powder developer, unless I mix it myself in small quantities. I don't really need a liter of developer on a trip, as my Paterson orbital uses just 70ml for four negatives , and I can even reuse the developer once or twice without changes I can see.

Since you can only take one ounce bottles in carry-on luggage, what would be the most practical or concentrated liquid developer? Since I use so little chemistry (I average only about 20 4x5s per month), its also important that the developer has a long shelf life.

Both HC-110 and Rodinal/R09 work in very high dilutions and live forever in concentrated form. I've worked with both and love them both.
    I'm sure Ilfotec HC is fine too, though I have no personal experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    ... just 70ml for four negatives , and I can even reuse the developer once or twice without changes I can see...
    Are these 4x5 negatives?

That volume seems inadequate, especially for re-use. Re-using while traveling seems like unnecessary hassle. Just use one shot developers.