Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson V500 4x5 Scanning?

Consulting the pineal gland

Re: Epson V500 4x5 Scanning?

You gotta stitch to use it. A 4990 would be vastly preferable. But that said, its not the end of the world to have to stitch it... adds about 5 or 10 minutes of work and processing time to my workflow per 4x5 scan. If you are on a student budget you might consider stitching and saving the money for other gear or supplies.

I don't use a holder with my 4490 (which is to the v500 what the 4990 is to the v700). I use some small nylon washers to sit the film onto, and place a black object in the upper left corner to trick it into thinking there is a film holder. Given the abysmal quality of my 120 Epson holder, I can't really consider this part of my work flow a problem, it might well be an improvement over a stock Epson holder.

RogerM, please note my trick about a black object tricking the scanner, I think it probably works the same way with a v500. I think in my (earlier and probably poorer version) Epson Scan I also had to unclick some thumbnailing option and change around some option with the film size too. I know that I've read of ppl stitching with the v500, its just not straightforward... fwiw I use the wrapper from my zeiss optical wipes to trick the scanner, about 1 1/2" x 3 inches I think and mostly black.

Roger
    I am sure that the V-700 would be superior for med format as well as 4x5. However, I have gotten good results on the v-500. A couple of things on the v-500. Make sure that the plug that goes to the lid is adequately plugged in. It will work loose with repeated opening of the lid and give you an error message! For large negatives I have used just a matte board 'holder' and place the neg emulsion side up. Use the professional setting and un-click all the auto stuff as well as the thumbnail box. worked for me. Oh, also be sure your holder/negative is at least a half an inch from the back edge of the glass. Works for me.
    Alan S

I modified epson V500 top lid, so scanner (hardware) is able to "see" whole 4x5 area (see attached photo). The problem is how to make software to see same area. If anyone have answer, please help.

best,

Mladjen

Consulting the pineal gland

Mladjen,
    Does the light adequately cover the negative in your mod?

I suppose you might try some of the third party drivers / software for it. I also thought there was a linux scanner driver which was primitive, but that might an option if its open sourced and will drive a v500.

Would LOVE to hear if this is successful. I had presumed the light wouldn't cover and never even thought it might be hacked.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
    I have been using a V500 to scan the family 35mm archive over the last couple of years and have been very pleased with the results. However, I have found some 3.25" x 2.25" B&W negatives from around 1915 which don't fit the slide and negative carrier. I've tried just laying the negatives on the glass but I get a "Please remove the document mat and/or close the document cover". I've tried using a home made carrier cut to size but get the same result. The only way I can get a scan is to use the 35mm carrier which artificially restricts the size of the result. I don't want to shell out for a V700 for about 100 negatives. Any ideas please?
    Hi, I have the V600 and had the same problem. I mounted (laid the 3.25 neg into the large neg carrier which has a long window with a door and the negative fills that space but does not get locked by the door. it sort of falls through to the glass but still fills the window from side to side. (Black and white film, 16-bit grayscale). Anyway, I could not get the document size fo stay put with me entering in the manual measurements, 3.25x2.25, it would snap back to the smaller size. I previewed it anyway and it gave me two thumbnails, top and bottom of the neg. Frustrated, I tried clicking on the preview panel to the right on "Normal" instead of "thumbnail". That gave me a raw look at the scanner on the entire pass, i.e. the entire neg carrier with the full neg showing on part of it. I then manually drew a marque around the full neg, and voila! I captured the entire neg. Hope this helps somebody.
    Last edited by glenglenn; 16-Jan-2012 at 12:03. Reason: Wording was confusing first time

I used a V500 with the betterscanning.com holder, but still had to stitch the scans. It isn't worth the effort, I bought a V700 form someone on Craigslist, it works quite well. I use the VueScan driver and the betterscanning ANG holders. I am a much happier camper.
    Michael Cienfuegos

I just bought a V700 refurb from Epson. Set me back about $420 with free shipping. I think its worth going that route.

so far im happy with the results but i have some more trial and error on my part as I am new to scanning