Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What developer do you use? Why?

Re: What developer do you use? Why?

Good thread. Ive used ID11 with mostly HP5 and Efke 25 and been mostly pleased. I bought chemicals for Pyro HD late last year but have not got around to mixing yet as I read there may be problems dissolving some of the chemicals. Those who recommend Pyro HD can they quickly clarify how they mix the chemicals ( temperatures etc ). The Sandy King reference on Unblinking Eye does not specify temperatures ( if I recall correctly ).

Thanks
    Geoff

Maybe you need a laboratory quality electric stirrer. It's got an electromagnet that turns and by magnetic induction also turns a magnetized, plastic coated rod that you put into the mixing vessel. I paid about $150 for a used model that also has heat.

Great investment! I slowly mix in the powder, stir by hand so that the powder is suspended and moving in the water, and walk away. Takes about 5 minutes to get it started. When I return 40 or 50 minutes later, the developer is thoroughly mixed.

Neat answer though one which I learnt nothing from. A simple question; are there any water temperature requirements I need to be aware of when I mix raw chemicals to make sols A and B for Pyro HD. I am a simple soul :-).

Perhaps tonight may be the night I move from proprietary branded materials to solutions more esoteric and alchemic. A bit like losing ones viginity. Electronic stirring paddles conjures all kinds of bizarre images. I would imagine good value tho for $150

Geoffrey,

I mix Pyrocat HD in tap water at 115 degrees. I mix it in a beaker and stir by hand, no fancy mixers for me. I find all the ingredients go into solution easily. Pyrocat is my most used developer.

I just want to add that I wear gloves, work in a well ventilated area, and wear a high efficiency dust mask when mixing Pyrocat. You really don't want to be breathing Catechol fumes or particles.

Drew Wiley

I use PMK pyro or certain tweaks of it for virtually all my conventional (non-lab) b&w
    films, every format from 35mm to 8x10. Stores extremely well once mixed into the
    A&B liquid components. The advantages of it are well published. For my "look" I prefer it to Pyrocat (I enlarge rather than contact print). I am currently experimenting with the Max Pyro tweak. For lab use like color masking, color separation negatives, etc I have all sorts of developers on hand, since these applications are far more fussy than general shooting and the intended parameters are entirely different.

Thanks Richard. Just the information I was looking for. I'll mix over the weekend. Any particular storage requirements ie glass, plastic etc.?

Ive just received 4 boxes of 5x7 HP5+ from Robert Whites which was sufficient motivation to make the jump.

Thanks again
    Geoff

Ron Miller

I'm almost at the point where I have standardized on using Prescysol EF for both 4x5 and 120. It's a 2-part liquid, Pyro, very much like Pyrocat HD, and I can mix different films together and develope them all for 10.5 minutes (together) semi-stand in my Combi Plan tank. 120 in SS of course. Some have had issues with Acros but I have not. But it does seem to not like TMAX100 for me. Efke is gorgeous.

My pennies worth.

Some folks who brew their own beer build a magnetic stirrer from a computer's muffin fan with a simple circuit to control the speed. Instructions can probably be found on line and the stirrers themselves are sold on ebay for much less than $150.

Being lazy and short on time, I bought one assembled. It is certainly a kludge and pouring the dry powders in slowly is a must, but it is a pleasure to have your developers mixed for you while you do something else.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aduncanson View Post
    Being lazy and short on time, I bought one assembled. It is certainly a kludge and pouring the dry powders in slowly is a must, but it is a pleasure to have your developers mixed for you while you do something else.
    Get a "proper" one next. Dump in dry chemicals, add water, turn on spinner&heater, leave the darkroom and come back in 20 minutes. That's how I make fixer...