Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so many developers? Isn't D76 enough?

Why so many developers? Isn't D76 enough?

OK, experts, step right up here and explain something to me. I've been using D76 developer exclusively since I started - of course, because it's the stuff they used at film school. But so many threads speak of Xtol, pyro, HC110, dual developers, etc...

When I started out, the recommendation was to stick with one chemical and learn how to use it. OK, I think I've got D76 down. What next?

Is there some place I can look that gives a clear description of the unique characteristics of different soups (yeah, I know, the Internet... ), perhaps providing photo examples of their properties?

Drew Wiley

Re: Why so many developers? Isn't D76 enough?

My grandmother seasoned her meals with nothing more than salt and did a pretty good
    job of making it tasty, but my wife keeps around dozens of different spices, and enjoys using them all. You make your own rules. Although I currently have a "standard"
    developer for routine use (PMK), I keep around quite a few specialty ones when things
    need spicing up, or the nature of my work changes. My philosophy of the technical end
    of both film and print developers is that one little tweak to spice things up might not
    make much difference, but if you add up several little tweaks they can cumulatively
    make the difference between an OK print and a great one.

hacker extraordinaire

Yes, D76 will get the job done. IMO, Xtol outdoes it as the "better D76", though. Just a bit more shadow speed and less grain, plus it has more stable activity (IMO) and is easier to replenish. I wouldn't pay for packets of D76 when I could just get Xtol for about the same price.

HC110 is just more convenient, and slightly more different than Xtol. I use it a lot because it's just so easy.

I use D23 mostly. It's easier to mix up and replenish than D76, but works about the same. Maybe a little lower-contrast.

I think you have to step into things like staining developers, two-bath developers, or strange caffiene developers to really see a substantial practical, and not mentally exaggerated, difference in developers.

Yes you only need XTOL just take the best and be happy!!!!

Cheers Armin

Octogenarian

It's not merely a matter of the type of developer, or the type of film you are using.

It's the combination of the film and developer you have chosen to work with.

Some developers work best with certain films. Some won't give optimum results with all types of film.

There is also the matter of the kind of agitation you are using. Some developers are formulated for continuous agitation. Some work best with intermittent agitation.

In reality, all developers will develop film. It's just a matter of matching the developer to the film to get the results you are seeking.

Look for "The Film Developing Cookbook", by S.Anchell and B. Troop. It's loaded with info. about matching developers to films.

BTW, if D-76 is giving you pleasing results, why change?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hughes View Post
    Is there some place I can look that gives a clear description of the unique characteristics of different soups (yeah, I know, the Internet... ), perhaps providing photo examples of their properties?
    I don't know how helpful photo examples would be as differences in agitation, dilution, and temperature not to mention the process going from negative to positive all play into the final result. And this is just for one film, change the film and the playing field changes again.

If you're happy with what you're using now, why change? Photography for me is more art than science and there is no 'best' anything--camera, film, developer, etc.

It would be a great project to study all the film/developer combinations. Perhaps someone would like to volunteer

With regard to Pyrocat HD developer and a variety of films, Professor King does a fine job - with detailed senistometric illustrations - in his article here on the Unblinking Eye web site. It's articulate and rigorous enough to please the most fastidious among us, I suspect. Meanwhile, if I find something better, I'll switch.

After purchasing it pre-mixed from Photographer's Formulary for several years, I now mix my own, making things even more affordable.

As for an example, here's a shot from just the other day: 5x7 FP4+, Pyrocat HD. Plus 1 development.

I use D76 and Rodinal now, but have used Microdol-X and TMax dev in the past. Each developer has its own unique look, even for the same film.

For instance, I would rather used Microdol-X on a portrait of a woman (goodbye fine details - I don't use it anymore, because it loses too much), whereas Rodinal works great on wood grains and rocks. Rodinal is a high acutance developer without the modern niceties of grain reduction while Microdol (and TMax Dev) is on the other end of the spectrum with grain reduction traded for lower acutance. D76 comes in between on both.

I typically choose whichever is more convenient (it takes two minutes to whip up either D76 1:1 or Rodinal 1:100, if the D76 is mixed) and which ever will work with the subject.

So, to answer the original question: because they look different in ways that you can't get back in printing.

As for not seeing any difference: unless Rodinal is one of those strange developers, I can definitely pick out my rodinal negatives from a pile of prints (or scans). Otherwise, there are only subtle differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    It would be a great project to study all the film/developer combinations. Perhaps someone would like to volunteer

With regard to Pyrocat HD developer and a variety of films, Professor King does a fine job - with detailed senistometric illustrations - in his article here on the Unblinking Eye web site. It's articulate and rigorous enough to please the most fastidious among us, I suspect. Meanwhile, if I find something better, I'll switch.

After purchasing it pre-mixed from Photographer's Formulary for several years, I now mix my own, making things even more affordable.

As for an example, here's a shot from just the other day: 5x7 FP4+, Pyrocat HD. Plus 1 development.

Ken, I'd volunteer if you provide the film, but I'd need rather a lot

My database of developers already has over 600 and there's heaps more to add, I've not even looked at what's maybe in the two Steve Anchell books, that I haven't already got.

Luckily many are so similar it's more a case of looking at the more unusual, and digging up some lost in the mists of time, Like a 1927 EK Research Laboratory Fine Grain developer, that's remarkably similar to Grant Haist's H76, published as a Fine Grainstill films developer when D76 was first being recommended for Motion picture films.

Ian

Drew Wiley

Lovely tulip Ken, but it's that slight twist of the leaf in front that I especially like.