Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What developer do you use? Why?

Re: What developer do you use? Why?

HC-110, mostly with HP5+.

Like you, I wanted to avoid mixing powders. In addition, I wanted to avoid fussing with a lot of temperature control. I process in a Jobo drum w/o bath, and can't guarantee that the drum temperature stays the same as the water temperature. My "darkroom" temperatures range from 68F to 74F during the year. According to http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/ development time can be adjusted to temperature by the formula:

New time = Old time × exp(-0.045 × (New temp °F - Old temp °F))

Sooo...

- Water (bottled distilled) and Jobo drum at room temperature
    - HC-110 dilution H
    - Adjust time according to www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110
    - Develop/fix/rinse on a unidirectional Beseler motor base

Dilution H gives me reasonable times in the drum (8-12 minutes, depending on temp) so I don't worry about the time spent filling or emptying. HC-110 is used dilution H as a one-shot developer.

Not quite as casual as Jim Galli, but no fuss, minimal equipment, reproducible.

-Mick

I use Pyrocat HD because it is available in a two part liquid concentrate, the concentrates last for years, it's inexpensive, it works in a Jobo, Sandy King (the formulator) is a knowledgeable and helpful person, and the grain size/sharpness balance works well for my photography.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

HC-110, usually at b dilution. It's a lovely developer with any film I've tried it on, and the stock solution has a very, very long shelf life, (it's in a glycol base, so it doesn't oxydize or hydrolize).
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Xtol - straight - it will last along time ( a couple of months) undiluted and it will process alot of films before it wears out.

Rich

Pyrocat-HD because it's economical and I like what the stain can do for me on VC paper and Kallitypes. It gives really nice smooth high value tones, and sharp grain. It's also a great developer for stand and semi-stand development. I also mix up LC-1B when I work with APHS film when continuous tones are needed. Recently I've been playing around with an Amidol film developer.

For TMX and TMY-2 sheet film, I use TMAX RS developer in the Jobo. Not according to instructions, but following what I learned from John Sexton years ago, I premix concentrate A and B, and then use that as one shot developer at 1+9 dilution (except for N+2 where I use 1+4).

Ted Mastrandonas

I've been using D76 1:1 in trays for over 30 years. I know how it works, and I guess I just like the smell.

PMK Pyro...........taste great............less filling

Pyrocat HD for me. I started using it when I purchased a large quantity of Forte 400 film which is very grainy. The pyrocat helps eliminate or blend the very obvious graininess I would normally get in the highlights with any other developer. Also, it yields the best looking negatives (almost 3-d looking) I have ever seen. I use it with Forte, FP4, Tri-X but not Efke 25. For Efke, I use Rodinal to bring out the sparkle.

Now Pyrocat HD with everything

But for nearly 20 years Rodinal and also Xtol for commercial work, OK I mix Pyrocat approx once a year from raw chemicals and after that it's just quick & simple.

I use Pyrocat with Ilford FP4/HP4 Delta 100 & 400, Fomapan 100/200 as well as my last stock of Fortepan 200 but particularly EFKE PL25, it's a superb combination.

Ian