Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silverfast

Silverfast

Hi

I have Silverfast AI that came with my Epson V750 scanner in addition the Epson Scan, would like to understand those who use this scanner which software you use, and are you stisfied, and would or have you upgraded to Silverfast AI studio for the multi-exposure facility.

Is their calim valid, does improve shadow details and your comments please.

Re: Silverfast

The difference isn't huge, but it is noticable. I primarily scan provia transparencies, occasionally acros negatives. I typically will scan once in single pass mode (if nothing else, to warm up the scanner) and once in multi-exposure. I've not had a problem with registration from multi-pass scanning when I've done this, and almost always the ME scan gives me meaningfully extra details in the shadow areas. It was well worth the upgrade IMHO.

Cheers!
    Bill

I updated to AI Studio IT8 with some film targets for. I use it exclusively now because it's signficantly faster and has a different workflow. Silverfast scans the full size preview, but unlike the Epson software, you can then apply and see all the adjustsments before you scan the final file. I also added it for the Nikon Coolscan 5000ED scanner.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

I was just running tests on the multipass last night (see attached detail from Leigh's Collaborative Scanning transparency).

What I have observed so far is that there is a reduction in noise, better shadow detail, but there also appears to be a softening to the look of the image as well. That may be just because there is less noise, which might require additional sharpening to compensate. But, my initial impressions are that it does what it is supposed to.

I also noted some registration issues in the 16x test I did, which may have been expansion of the transparency or environmental vibrations. I plan to retest that setting again today.

There are a number of other advantages to the software over the EpsonScan, including a much broader selection of color spaces one can scan into, and the 48-bit HDR captures data at the extremes that is otherwise clipped with EpsonScan.

Hi,

I use the Epson V750 too. I have upgraded to AI studio, attracted by the multiple exposure facility. I agree that there is a great reduction in noise and film grain. The only draw back is the registration. This makes the scan usable, in my opinion. It is such a shame.

I have to admit that I now scan using the Epson software. I have found Silver Fast a bit of a performance to set up. I would use Silver Fast for scanning all colour transparencies and negatives and everything else the Epson software does a great job too.

I have to admit, I still havent figured out Silverfast. I can't get anything even approaching a usable scan.
    I'm not beng picky here. It's obvious I'm doing something very wrong because even the previews look horrible.

I should detail what I'm doing/seeing and ask for help some time.
    I've got my gear, now what?

Photography Blog

Quote Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
    I have to admit, I still havent figured out Silverfast. I can't get anything even approaching a usable scan.
    I'm not beng picky here. It's obvious I'm doing something very wrong because even the previews look horrible.

I should detail what I'm doing/seeing and ask for help some time.
    As a last resort, you could always read the manual. : - )

More seriously - Silverfast is pretty complicated but the manual does help and the tutorials are also very useful if you can stay awake while the guy with the heavy German accent drones on. But the biggest help to me was a book by a guy whose last name is Tally I believe and the title is something like "Silverfast - The Complete Manual." If you search "Silverfast" on Amazon I'm sure it will pop up if it's still in print.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

But the biggest help to me was a book by a guy whose last name is Tally I believe and the title is something like "Silverfast - The Complete Manual."
    That would be Taz Tally. He does a tutorial on lynda.com that is also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    But the biggest help to me was a book by a guy whose last name is Tally I believe and the title is something like "Silverfast - The Complete Manual." If you search "Silverfast" on Amazon I'm sure it will pop up if it's still in print.
    The book is called "SilverFast: The Official Guide" by Taz Tally. It's also available through silverfast's online shop.
    Here's a link to the silverfast manual / tutorial section: http://www.silverfast.com/knowledge/en.html

Just the same sort of advice I always get here...read the manual...run film tests...practice....geeeze!
    I guess there aren't any "spray and pray" types in large format. :-)
    I've got my gear, now what?

Photography Blog