Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cezanne Colorgenius software

Re: Cezanne Colorgenius software

Thanks Peter. When you wet mount, how do you use masks? Do you go glass, (mounting fluid), negative, (mounting fluid), overlay and then tape a mask on top of the overlay? Or do you place the mask in the sandwich between the glass and the overlay - I would think that would make using fluid more difficult

Hi Tim,

The first way.

I built a custom scanning bed, mainly because my original scanning bed is fairly marked up. My custom bed has a smaller scanning area than the regular bed, consisting of a piece of optical glass in the center of a well-sealed MDF holder. Originally, I designed it so that I would mount the negative underneath the glass, such that only the scanning mylar would be between the emulsion and the lens, but testing showed that there was no discernible difference with mounting on top of the glass, which is easier.

With this scanner, though, I don't see all that much difference wet-mounting, just as Sandy King doesn't see much difference with his Creo Eversmart scanner. I have to do it, though, or I'll get Newton's rings on the optical glass. If the anti-newton surface of the standard scanning tray of your scanner is clean enough, I'd make some pretty careful tests to make sure that wet-scanning is beneficial.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Tim,

I also have an old Cezanne and I opted to adapt a large piece (don't remember the size) of 2mm AN glass in place of the original one. As a side benefit, flare is reduced somewhat.
    But I'm still struggling with software issues and the lack of 16bit files for B&W work.

To get 16 bit files with Colorgenius 1.x, scan the image as a 16-bit per channel positive. In Photoshop, invert the file and pick the best channel. Usually, it'll be the green channel. Discard the other channels.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Cesar, what are you replacing with the 2mm AN glass, the standard scanning bed, i.e. what the negative is laid down one, or the AN cover sheet, which goes over the top of the negative? The standard bed is a 6mm thick piece of what looks like acrylic with a very, very fine texture. Finer, in my experience, than anti-Newton glass sold for enlargers.

Peter, I did replace the scanning bed because it was in such a bad shape and it would be near impossible to get a new one here in Brazil. Not at an affordable price, I mean. I know it isn't the best solution, but it came from the some source where I ordered Nikon 9000 scanner's glasses, so if it works this way, why not the other.

My software version won't allow me to save 16bit files on either way, although it says the processing is done on high bit level, so it's feasible to work around adding two or more scans targeting shadows or highlights, but... life should be easier, shouldn't it?

Cesar, what version of Colorgenius are you using?

Regarding the AN glass, if it works, use it! I replaced my scanner bed with optical glass, but as a result I have to wet mount to avoid Newton's rings.

Regarding the scanner bed, I don't think it's affordable anyplace. Screen USA wants $1200.

Peter, I can't say right now wich version I've installed, but I'm sure it's pretty old and just run on OS9 or older machines.
    Now I'm working on an expositin which opens next week and haven't much time to think about it, but soon I hope to find some help from people who works on bureaus or graphic industry. And I know there's plenty of scanners being sold even here where I live. So, it's just a matter of time. I hope!

Hi Cesar,

I'm using ColorGenius 1.4. If you have version one, like me, you can download the updates to 1.4 . I have to run mine on an old G4 with OS9, and I'm able to do 16-bit per channel saves in color. Hopefully there's just a buried setting that you need to change.

Hi Peter,

Today, after a long time, I've been scanning some b&w negatives and just then I did remember that my software actually is the Colorscope, version 1.2.3., wich I know nothing about.
    I checked Screen Usa download page but couldn't find anything useful and I suppose finding a copy of Colorgenius could make my life easier. I'll look for that later, when I have some free time to spare.
    Anyway, thanks for your attention.