Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cezanne Colorgenius software

Cezanne Colorgenius software

Hi,

In my never ending search for a high end scanner I've come across a screen cezanne elite for a reasonable price. I'm waiting for the seller to confirm the version of colorgeniusEX software. In the meantime, does anyone know the following:

1. Do all versions of colorgeniusEX allow 16bit saves?
    2. Is there a dongle for the software?

Thanks
    Tim

Re: Cezanne Colorgenius software

Kinda and no, respectively. I have version 1.4 or such. You can save 16 bit per channel color, but it limits you to 8-bit bw. To get around this, I simply scan bw as a 16 bit per channel color positive and choose the best channel in Photoshop.

Thanks Peter.

Out of interest, if any of the Cezanne scanner owners out there had their scanners crated before delivery, do you remember roughly what size crate was used? Also, is removing the tail section of the scanner for shipping easy to do?

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim, I can offer a little advice, I bought a used Cezanne a fortnight ago, here in the UK.

The tail section comes off really easily, open the front panel and undo one thumbscrew (all the way out) then slide the tail towards you and up. The machine wont run without it installed, in case you think you could save space. I moved it with a friend, making sure BOTH locking plates are present and correct, and the little rubber piece that stops the scan bed from moving. Mine was missing so I made one from an old mouse-mat. It has 4 "useful" handles that pull out of the bottom of the scanner. Note that with the weight of the scanner, these handles will feel like they are about to cut your fingers off at any moment!

I'm running version 2.? on OSX and am pretty sure 16-bit is offered across the board (don't quote me on that though). The software is unlocked with a serial number (on the CD case) - no dongle needed.

if anyone would care to enlighten me on their workflow for this scanner I would be really interested. I'm after the highest quality scans, negs and trannies - regardless of the time it will take.

hope that helps a bit

making sure BOTH locking plates are present and correct
    Where is the second locking plate? Attached is a file I was sent by a screen tech.

I think this is the one that locks the optical unit. Do you only need to orientate this bracket correctly, or do you need to actually tell the scanner (through software or menu) to return the optical unit to the correct location for shipping? I'd assume that the optical unit just goes to the location where it can be locked when you switch the scanner off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Shawcross View Post
    Where is the second locking plate? Attached is a file I was sent by a screen tech.

I think this is the one that locks the optical unit. Do you only need to orientate this bracket correctly, or do you need to actually tell the scanner (through software or menu) to return the optical unit to the correct location for shipping? I'd assume that the optical unit just goes to the location where it can be locked when you switch the scanner off.
    I just got a message from the seller which included a diagram of the shipping plates you mentioned - it seems that the Elite does have 2 plates (the attached shot was from the orginal Cezanne (non elite) manual - must have only had one plate before the elite came out)

Tim

Yep, only one plate on my Cezanne (non-elite).

oops! sorry if I misled anyone... I made the schoolboy error of assuming things would be identical....

Thanks for the replies so far. The seller says the version of software they have is 'ColorGenius EX for FT-S5500 Version 2.0.1 Client/Server package' At first I thought this was fine - but know I'm wondering about the 'client/server' bit. I noticed that the ColorgeniusEX server is listed as an optional extra in the Elite brochure (where as plain colorgeniusEX is standard). Does anyone know if this client/server package will actually be the software to run the scanner or is it just software to enable the scanner to be run on more than one machine (whilst still requiring the original EX software)?

That is the software to run the scanner. There are two basic setups. One is to install the "server" element on a separate computer, and the other is to install both the server and scan setup program on the same computer. Both were on my ColorGenius setup disc.

If you go to the dainippon screen japan site, you will be able to download later versions of 2.x, as well as later firmware. It's a scsi scanner, and so I'm not sure exactly what version of OS 10 you'll have to use. On my version 1.x, I have to run OS 9.