Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carbon fibre tripods - comments please?

Carbon fibre tripods - comments please?

Thank you to all who have contributed to my questions. I am overwhelmed with the responses - that's what makes this forum so good.

I'm now convinced to go with the Gitzo and once I have one in my hot little hands and have been able to play with it for a while I'll post my experiences and comments.

Once again thanks everyone for your help.

Kind regards

Peter Brown

Kerry-- One last comment--With such a lightview camera that you have, you might try the lightweight 1228 Gitzo tripod and my favorite Gitzo head which is the 1270M-- a low profile 3 way head. If you have any trouble in the wind just hook your camera bag to the center column. Most of the time you'll be delighted with the lightness! David

David,

Thanks for the advice on the 1270M. I've actually been considering this head for a while. At a little over 20oz., it's certainly one of the lightest three axis heads around. Still, it's over 3x the weight of my little Velbon PH-253MG (a hair under 6 oz.). So, I think I'll stick with the lighter Velbon magnesium ballhead for backpacking.

As I mentioned, I use a modified (no center column) 1227 as my tripod for backpacking. According to the Gitzo web site, the 1227 and 1228 have the same weight (1.5kg), but the 1227 is about 2" taller (important to me at 6' 4"). My unmodified 1227 weighed 3 lb. 6 oz. out of the box (a little over 1 oz. above the 1.5kg spec). With the center column removed (which I think improves rigidity, as well as reduces the weight), with the Velbon PH-253MG head, the total weight of tripod and head is 3 lb. 4 3/4oz.

For the REALLY weight consious, my friend Roy Harrington uses a modifed Slik 804 (again, removed center column) with the same Velbon PH-253MG head. His tripod/head has a total weight of 2 lb. 11.5 oz. But, it's about 5" shorter than my modified 1227 (but then, Roy is 6" shorter than me).

BTW, for a REALLY light, but sturdy tripod, I tried combining the bottom leg sections of my 1325 along with the top sections of my 1227 (total of two leg section). In this combination (without the center column), the legs weigh only 2 lb. 5 oz. and are INCREDIBLY rigid (and only three leg collars to fiddle with), but unfortunately also quite short (about 14" shorter than my 1227 with the standard three leg sections, but no center column).

Again we are quite nuts, proudly admit it, know we're pushing the limts, know this won't work for everybody, but works for us, so we're happy. YMMV.

Kerry

Dan,

It's easy enough to add mass on the spot without having to schlep it all over th e backcountry. In fact, the camera itself adds significant mass. The heavier t he camera, the more mass it adds, pushing right straight down (good old gravity) . The two Gitzo carbon fiber tripods I use are incredibly rigid and capable of supporting much heavier cameras than I'm currently using.

I, generally like to carry ultralight cameras to match my ultralight tripods, (w ith the exception of a Linhof Technikardan TK45S that I use within a few miles o f the parking lot and use with my Gitzo 1325). In that case, I can always add m ore weight if needed. Either something I was carrying anyway (camera bag, water bottles, etc.) or something found on the spot. Many of these tripods now come with a hook for just such a purpose. And for those that don't, it's easy enough to add one. It's then a simple matter of hanging additional weight from the ho ok. The little North Face Yavapai daypack I use for carrying my ultralight kit (mostly used for backpacking), has a "hoist strap" on the top, perfect for hangi ng from the tripod hook (also keeps my gear up off the wet, muddy, or sandy grou nd. The other option is one of those plastic grocery sacks (would you like pape r or plastic?). They weigh almost nothing, are pretty strong, are reusable over and over again, and can hold a surprising amount of rocks. In this case, I can often double, or triple the weight of my ultralight tripod by carrying around a plastic bag that weighs almost nothing and takes up nearly zero space in my cam era bag.

Another trick that works well is "grounding" the tripod by looping a length of c ord over the tripod hook, pulling it down tight and standing on the end of the c ord.

So, I never have to carry more weight than necessary and can easily add weight w hen needed. Although it's needed much less than you might think. If there is v egetation in the picture, the slightest breeze often makes shooting impossible n o matter how sturdy your tripod. The added weight does come in handy when shoot ing more stable subjects (rocks, roots and mountains). I'd much rather carry an ultralight, but rigid carbon fiber tripod and a plastic grocery bag over miles of trail than go back to being a human pack mule with a heavy wooden or metal tr ipod. I'm sure others will disagee (and they'll probably be right - based on th eir needs and working methods). Just sharing what works for me.

Kerry

Kerry,

How do you add weight to the G1325 tripod. You describe it as having a hook. Only the ones with center columns have hooks, as far as I know. Did you modify the G1325 by adding a hook? Or are you using it with a center column?