Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon fibre tripods - comments please?

Carbon fibre tripods - comments please?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems to me that the leg locks on Gitzo's CF tripods are superior to the leg locks on their older tripods. Like many others, I've grunted and struggled with the locks on older Gitzos--especially in damp or cold weather--but I've been very pleased with the leg locks on my Gitzo CF tripod.

Just pointing this out so that you don't judge today's Gitzos based on the shortcomings of their tripods 10 or 20 years ago.

P.S. I have a Mk. II

It's difficult for me to get specific information on them, but it seems to me that most of the carbon tripods weight about 3.5 pounds, without the head, which doesn't seem particularly light to me (the old Tiltall only weighs 4 pounds without the head). Isn't that an awful small weight loss for such a high cost? No flames please.

Bill, I've been told the weight gain is around 30% for equivalent strength. Not that much of course, but 1 Kg counts at the end of a long hike. What worries me is how the carbon tube would w ithstand being sometimes mistreated, wedged between rocks for instance. Has someone suffered the loss of a leg that way?

Peter,

Let me start by saying I agree with everything I wrote. Seriously, I'm not sure how old that quote is, but I still own my two Gitzo carbon fiber tripods (modified 1227 - center column removed, and 1325) and love them both. No piece of equipment is perfect for all users and all uses. We all have our own needs, budgets, etc., but for me personally, I consider the two Gitzos I have perect FOR MY NEEDS. The modified 1227 for backpacking and the 1325 for everything else.

I'm not shy about stating my opinions, both pro and con, on any piece of equipment I've paid for with my hard earned dollars. If I had anything bad to say about the Gitzos, I'd say it. I don't. So, I won't. Both of these tripods have seen heavy field use for over three years and still perform every bit as well as the day I bought them. I do disassemble the legs about once a year to clean out any accumulated crud (sand and salt from salt spray) and apply a thin layer of white moly-based grease to the collar threads. BTW, the disassembly and re-assembly requires no tools, so it can be performed anywhere, anytime you feel it's necessary.

I have compared the Gitzos side-by-side, either in the store or in the field, with the carbon fiber tripods from Velbon, Slik and Bogen/Manfotto. The Gitzo 1227 is taller than the all of these, sturdier, and it's lighter than the Bogen/Manfrottos as well. In fact, for an ultralight tripod for backpacking, the only thing I've found lighter than the 1227 that I would consider using is the new 1127 (and it's really too short for me - so I'll stick with my modified 1227). None of these other manufacturers currently have anything that's even in the same league as, or intended to compete against, the Gitzo 1325.

Other than the Gitzo locking collars, that some people don't like (personal preference - Hint: if you're turning them more than 1/2 turn to loosen/tighten, you're making your life harder than need be), the biggest complaint is the cost. As others have suggested, check the prices at Robert White's web site. You'll be pleasantly surprised to find that you can get the Gitzo carbon fiber tripods from Robert White for LESS than most other brands in the US.

WRT weight. Believe me, for a metal tripod of comparable rigidity, the weight savings is closer to 1/2. In addition to being lighter, the carbon fiber tubing is also more rigid than aluminum. My 1227 replaced my Bogen 3021. It was within 1/2" of the same height, less than 60% of the weight, and MORE rigid. By also using lightweight ballheads, the two Gitzo carbon fiber tripods I now use are less than 1/2 the weight of the metal Bogens I used to carry, and they are taller and more rigid. Carbon fiber tripods may not be for everybody, and others may prefer other brands, but my carbon fiber Gitzos have truly made my life easier, and even though I bought them at US prices (before I learned of Robert White), I consider it money well spent and would not hesitate to buy them all over again (not that I'll have to, I expect they will outlast me).

WRT heads. About a year before I bought my carbon fiber Gitzos, I started using an Arca Swiss B1. After over a decade of using nothing but three axis heads with large format, it did take a while to get used to using a ballhead. I'm pretty comfortable with ballheads now, but to be honest, if I found a three axis head that was just as light, just as stong and just as compact as the B1, I'd probably switch. In terms of ease of use, I think being able to tweak each axis independently is a better match to the working style of large format.

But, for me, weight is always a concern, so for the last four years I've been using ballheads on both of my tripods. The B1 has been on my 1325 since the day I bought it, and it's a very good match for that leg set and easily handles anything I put on top of it. For the 1227 for backpacking, I started with a Linhof Profi II. A decent enough head, but not in the same league as the Arca, and only a few ounces lighter. Until recently, I was using a modified (replaced the stock plastic top platform with a Kirk Arca style QR clamp) Slik Standard Ballhead II. Not even close to the same level of smoothness as the Arca or even the Linhof, but considerably ligher (and an amazing bargain for less than $50 - the Kirk QR clamp actually cost more than the Slik head). On my recent backpacking trips, I've gone about as light as I think I can go with a Velbon PH253MG magnesium ballhead. This one isn't even as smooth or sturdy as the Slik, but at less than 6 oz., it's a real weight saver. Keep in mind, I only use this head with my Toho (2 lb. 12 1/2 oz.) and ultralight lenses (4 - 10 oz. each). This is pushing the hairy limits of "ultralight large format" (my own personal favorite oxymoron) and I would not dream of recommending this head for general purpose LF use.

Ergonomically, I REALLY like the Bogen/Manfotto mini geared head (don't remember the model number). It's an absolute joy to use, but almost a pound heavier, and less rigid than the Arca Swiss B1 (I still may get one for "road kills"). If you really want a three axis head, some of the new magnesium models from Gitzo look interesting (again, check the prices at Robert White).

Kerry

Kerry,

Did you mount an Arca plate on the Velbon head, or do you use just the screw lock built in to it? I was impressed by this head in the store as compared to any others in the same class (Kaiser small, Giotto medium, etc...) but I have never seen the Slik you mention.

Richard,

I'm just using the stock mounting platform on the Velbon head. I normally prefer an Arca style QR clamp on all my tripods, but in this case, it would increase the weight of the head by over 50%. The Velbon head comes with a captive screw mount that's almost as fast to use as an Arca style QR. It't not quite as secure. but then I never flop my camera on its side for verticals, so it's not really an issue.

I do think it would be fairly easy to replace the stock Velbon mounting platform with a Arca style clamp. but the reason I bought this head was to go as light as possible when backpacking. For that application, I think it makes since to keep the lighter stock platform.

You should be able to find info (specs and picture)and unmodified Slik Standard Ballhead II online. If not at the Slik site, then try the B&H site. In this case, the stock platform is a joke (both to use and in terms of rigidity), so replacing it with a Arca style clamp was a no-brainer. For a picture and weight info on my modified Slik Standard Ballhead II, see:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/heads.htm

Again, I do not recommend these ultralight heads (especially the Velbon PH253-MG) for general purpose large format use. But, for backpacking with an ultralight camera (like my Toho), they do the job and save a lot of weight. Not the right tool for every job, but a very good tool for this one specific application.

Kerry

Peter,

I moved from Manfrotto to a Gitzo CF early this year and I couldn't be happier. The Gitzo is definitely more stable than the Manfrotto, though I can't really say whether or not the leg locks have anything to do with it. I went with the 1329, though I don't use the center column (which effectively turns it into a 1325). Even without the center column, I can set the tripod up at a much more comfortable shooting height than I could my Manfrotto 3011 and 3021. I don't like to extend the center column and reduce stability, so I was always slightly hunched over with the Manfrotto. It's not something I even realized until I got the Gitzo.

Mechanically, the Gitzo leg locks have been trouble free, though I still occasionally fumble around with the Gitzo "spinning leg" problem (if one leg lock isn't tightened down well enough, trying to operate the next leg lock results in the section just spinning inside the other). This is operator error of course, and I have no mechanical complaints about the Gitzo locks. I had a number of problems with the Manfrotto lever-style leg locks, so I was never a fan of them. Ultimately, I switched back to the wing-knob style locks which were much more trouble free for me. I'd say the Gitzo leg locks are easier to use than the Manfrotto wing-knobs, but not enough so to make a difference.

As for the mini-geared head that Kerry mentions: The model 410 (or 3275) geared head is every bit the joy to use that Kerry says. The gearing allows for very fine adjustment along each of the 3 axes, but there is also a large spring loaded knob that disengages the gearing to allow large movements quickly and easily. I originally bought one of these for my CF, but the larger mounting plate on the Gitzo caused restricted forward and backward movement (the knobs on the head bump against the edge of the plate). It might not be a problem for you, but it's something to be aware of. If you're using a Gitzo with a center column, you can remove the top plate and mount the head directly to the column (this seemed very sturdy to me, though it's possible that there might be a slight affect on stability). I don't usually use the center column and the restricted movement bugged me enough that I ultimately (reluctantly) went with an Arca B1.

I have no complaints about the B1; it's strong, light, very well designed and works as claimed (though I did have a problem with the pan knob not clamping tightly. I had to disassemble, clean, and adjust it right out of the box. Grease used on the panning mechanism had slopped over onto the clamping surface). Like you, I was used to 3 way heads and wasn't really hot to change. I was pretty unsure of how well a ballhead would work with large format. It definitely took some getting used to, but I'm happy with it now and I'm not sure I'd go back to 3 way in the field (unless I could get the Manfrotto 410 to work better with a columnless Gitzo).

Just saw the two new carbon fiber Hakuba tripods at my local camera store. They seem to be very well made and offer good value. Has anyone had any experiences with Hakuba's carbon fiber tripod?

I'll give a vote for the G1325 and AS B-1. I use this setup for 35mm w/300 2.8 to 4x5 w/ big 90XL. The G1325 was an upgrade from the G1227 legs. I also had the G1377 Mg vertical head but ditched it for the B-1.