Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Epson V750 native resolution

Re: Epson V750 native resolution

Sandy, not so far. The edge of the scanner platen seems to be fairly well sealed, but I take care to try and avoid using so much fluid that it runs to the edges. If I overdo it, I soak up the extra with my microfiber cloth. I am using KAMI, so it evaporates quickly, too.

My piece of plex is roughly 5x7 and sits in the middle of the bed with the mylar overhanging on the near edge to make it easy to grasp and lift. With the plex so far from the edges, it makes intercepting any excess fluid fairly easy.

falth j

At a workshop I attended about nine month's after the epson v750 was released, it was generally felt by the workshop hosts, and from their tests, that there wasn't much to be gained above the 2200 - 2400 setting areas in practice, and perhaps higher settings may be detrimental in some cases...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. Walklet View Post
    J...in my sample 20x24 prints from a 35mm transparency...
    WOW^^

With my V700 I found that there was no advantage to scanning above 3200ppi. Scans just took a lot more time and the results weren't any better. For a 4x5 to print at 300ppi (Canon ipf5000) 1500 ppi will get you above 16x20. At least with the V700 you can try to scan a 4x5 at 6400ppi, in one piece if you have a couple of hours. You can use Silverfast, but I have found the pro section of the Epson software to work well. The home and auto sections are worthless.
    I agree focusing is a bit of a black art, the unit I have used since the scanner came out (4 years?) came fine out of the box, I was lucky. I no longer work in that job, so I'm planning on buying one a little worried about the focus calibration.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
    Focusing the beast is a black art. Many never get it focused AFAIKT. Have fun.
    Pardon my ignorance but I have been using this scanner for a few years now and I did not realize it could be focused.
    How does one go about that?

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    The key is obtaining correct focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Monego View Post
    I agree focusing is a bit of a black art, the unit I have used since the scanner came out (4 years?) came fine out of the box, I was lucky. I no longer work in that job, so I'm planning on buying one a little worried about the focus calibration.

Tom
    Sorry for the second post in a row.
    Pardon my ignorance but I have been using this scanner for a few years now and I did not realize it could be focused.

You don't focus the scanner. You raise or lower the film holder either using the Epson plastic things that came with the holder, (Not so efficient), or use something like the Better Scanning holder which can be found here: http://www.betterscanning.com/

Hope that helps.

-- JB
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    John Belthoff
    Black & White Film Photographer
    http://www.customfilmworks.com/

[QUOTE=JBelthoff;935363]You don't focus the scanner. You raise or lower the film holder either using the Epson plastic things that came with the holder, (Not so efficient), or use something like the Better Scanning holder which can be found here: http://www.betterscanning.com/

Yes, that did help, and thank you very much John for clearing that up for me.

The more pressing question I had was, what is the native resolution for this scanner?
    And if there is a difference in native resolution between scanning reflective and transparencies.
    Because I see this thread is mainly about scanning transparencies but most of what I scan is reflective.

Also what are other "safe" alternatives to the Native resolution?
    eg. if native is 6400 is 50% a good 2nd option or are there "Good Steps" like 4800, 3200, 2400

Any input, info or advice would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by sngraphics View Post
    Also what are other "safe" alternatives to the Native resolution?
    eg. if native is 6400 is 50% a good 2nd option or are there "Good Steps" like 4800, 3200, 2400

Any input, info or advice would be much appreciated.
    Most people on this forum would agree that the native resolution, or let's just say, maximum optical resolution, is between 2000 and 2400. Scanning at any number higher than that will not yield anything more.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I do not doubt that the max optical resolution of the v700/v750 is ~2400dpi. But the only definitive source I've seen for that figure did not state at what scan resolution the test was done.

In my own tests (with my v700), I have found a clearly visible quality difference between scanning at 2400spi and scanning at 4800spi to downsample to 2400dpi in photoshop.

these images are small 100% portions of a 4x5 negative, mounted to the betterscanning glass mounting station. The last image is for comparison - a 2000spi scan from a Flextight X1 or X5 (i don't recall which - 2000spi is the max available resolution on a 4x5 negative though).

IMO, the difference between 2400 and 4800 is obvious and significant...

(The lasersoft imaging watermarks are because these were done when I was testing the demo of silverfast 8)

epson v700 4800-2400
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4800-2400.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	81133

epson v700 2400

Name:	2400.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	81134

imacon 2000

Name:	imacon2000.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	81136

Perhaps this is a result of a process that is essentially just some capture sharpening? I don't know. I don't have a way to measure any quantitative difference.
    But to get a better result than the imacon, for 30-50 times less cost? sounds good to me!
    Chamonix Saber + Nikkor-W 135/5.6 // Travelwide 90 // Mystery 4x5 // Fotoman 69s + Nikkor-SW 65/4 // Paubel Makina 67 // Pentax 35mm // NEX Digital //
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunstadt/