Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Epson V750 native resolution

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Epson V750 native resolution

Hi

I have just purchased a new Epson V750 and plan to scan 4x5 vlevia, what is the best and native resolution of this scanner without interpolation.

Re: Epson V750 native resolution

The manufacturer claims a max optical of 6400spi. You'll need to scan in two pieces for color with 4x5 at that resolution, resize them to 3200 and join them in Photoshop. The best results are wet mounted IMO. Lots of threads about various approaches.

By scanning a 35mm microfilm target to test the optical limitation of the scanner I decided to scan at home at 2400ppi on the V700. I also tested quite a few of these and the numbers varied based on the scanner from as low as ~2100 to as high as ~2500 in our lab.

Focusing the beast is a black art. Many never get it focused AFAIKT. Have fun.

Jeremy, are you referring to the true resolution (as often referenced by Sandy) or an actual scanner setting?

I find it necessary to use the beast's ;-) max optical setting (6400spi) and wet mount to achieve the best true resolution.

Try the Silverfast website. There is a special Epson Scanner section.

Best...

Big Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. Walklet View Post
    Jeremy, are you referring to the true resolution (as often referenced by Sandy) or an actual scanner setting?

I find it necessary to use the beast's ;-) max optical setting (6400spi) and wet mount to achieve the best true resolution.
    I'm talking about the setting above which the optical lens in the scanner is not resolving anymore detail, but honestly I have never tried the 6400 setting. I'm developing a bunch of new 4x5 film tonight from a recent trip so I'll scan a couple of 6400 and compare to my method of scanning.

I also found this on the Epson site which seems to suggest there is something extra at work, the "Micro Step Drive™ technology", when scanning at 6400.

Hardware Resolution

* 4800 x 9600 dpi, 6400 x 9600 dpi with Micro Step Drive™ technology

I don't understand what Epson means by the term "micro step drive" technology.

However, when discussing the optical resolution of scanners it is often stated that the larger number is of no importance. For example, when talking about a scanner with stated optical resolution of 4800 X 9600 spi most people say that the larger figure is not important, that only the smaller figure applies. This is, practically speaking, true in most cases, but not always. In fact, the larger figure is based on the number of samples that are taken in one direction (the direction of the movement of the CCD head), and is quite real.

If you look at the image files of the targets that I recently posted in another thread on this forum, you will see that the resolution of the bars is much greater in one direction with the EverSmart Pro scan than in the other. This is due to the fact that the scanner samples 3175 spi wide, but 8025 spi in the direction of movement of the head. As you can clearly see the resolution in the direction of the head movement is quite real, and is not interpolated. So, If effective resolution based is on both horizontal and vertical bars the resolution is about 60 l/mm, but based just on the vertical bars it is over 90 l/mm.

I am going to re-post that image here so you don't have to go back to the other thread to see my point.

BTW, the 4990 also shows more resolution in the movement of the head, but not nearly as much as the EverSmart due to optical limitations.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post

I also found this on the Epson site which seems to suggest there is something extra at work, the "Micro Step Drive™ technology", when scanning at 6400.
    Last edited by sanking; 27-Mar-2009 at 10:41.

Quote Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
    Focusing the beast is a black art. Many never get it focused AFAIKT. Have fun.
    Pardon my ignorance but I have been using this scanner for a few years now and I did not realize it could be focused.
    How does one go about that?

I'm no expert, but I have consistently read that people who test the recent batch Epson scanners get somewhere around 2000 spi, plus or minus a few hundred, and my experience seems to bear this out. Higher settings just seem to produce larger files, but do not result in additional, usable visual data.

I set my Epson 4990 to 2400 spi. For additional detail, I shoot 5x7 instead of 4x5. It's cheaper than getting a high-end scanner, and you can make (albeit small) contact prints if you like.