Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: v700 vs microteck m1

v700 vs microteck m1

I am thinking to buy one of these two models.
    I have 100s, of 2 1/4 format negatives in vps color film and also B&W negs
    I know "that you get for what you pay for".
    But with a budget under $600, are any one of these 2 models any better for this task?
    Is there another negative film scanner that some one can recommend?

Octogenarian

Re: v700 vs microteck m1

Assuming that you want to purchase a new scanner, the Epson v700 will fit your budget and does fine job of scanning color and B&W negatives.

Microtek discontinued making scanners. A new M1 is difficult to find, unless a dealer has a left-over one in stock. However, you might be able to find a good used M1 at a reduced price.

Either of these scanners are up to the task you described.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Microtek discontinued making scanners. A new M1 is difficult to find, unless a dealer has a left-over one in stock. However, you might be able to find a good used M1 at a reduced price .
    Gem

When did MIKROTEK discontinue making scanners ? ? ?
    I bought an ARTIXSCAN F1 last year . I am very satisfied with it using SILVERFAST Ai .
    Who will give the service ? ? ?

Jürgen

I don't think Microtek stopped making scanners, but they DID stop marketing them in the USA. The discontinuance of Microtek scanners in the USA has been less than a year. Many people who post on this forum are not in the USA and some information is not correct for them.

The only "under $1000" scanner available in the USA that can handle medium-format film (and larger) would be one of the flatbed models from Epson. Other than that it is a big jump in price-AND QUALITY-to a Nikon dedicated film scanner.

If the goal is to "archive" everything digitally, make sure you can associate the filenames to the negatives (via a spreadsheet/database and simple numbering system), and keep those negatives!

The Epson will give you a great "reference" scan for negative identification and small prints, but don't rely on it (or any scanner) to replace the negs!

Octogenarian

I realize that Microtek has discontinued marketing scanners in the USA. To me, that's the equivalent of saying that they have stopped making them. However, Microtek claims that they will continue to service their existing scanners in the USA. Haven't needed to tested that claim, as yet.

I purchased one of the first M1's from Jim, at Midwest. Waited a few months until it become available. That scanner broke down after approx. 30 scans. It took several Emails to convince Microtek that the scanner was defective. The problem was not caused by operator error. They eventually replaced the defective M1 with a brand new scanner. It is still working fine after more than a year.

Previously, I had an Epson 4990. I personally prefer the Microtek over the Epson. However, I have no actual experience with the Epson v700. It is said to be an improvement over the 4990.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    • Microtek discontinued making scanners.
    • I realize that Microtek has discontinued marketing scanners in the USA. To me, that's the equivalent of saying that they have stopped making them.
    • Epson v700 will fit your budget and does fine job of scanning color and B&W negative.
    • However, I have no actual experience with the Epson v700.
    The 'Cliffs Notes' version.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 22-Mar-2009 at 13:27. Reason: sp

Octogenarian

Colin,

I have no idea what you mean by "cliff notes ".

I shared my experience with the M1 and admitted that I was not familiar with the v700, only with the 4990.

Since the OP seemed to understand the American language, I assumed that he was a resident of the USA. I suppose i should have inquired as to what part of the world he lives in.

I have amassed 63 years of photographic experience during my 79 years of existence and, unlike others I have met, glad to share with others.

I type slowly and painfully, and the words don't always come as I intended them.

I hope your remark was not meant to be critical or sarcastic.

Honestly, I wouldn't spend too many brain cycles deciding/fighting between two low-quality flatbed scanners. Neither is going to give you impressive results with 120.

Choose whatever is cheapest/easiest, and just know that you'll have to drum scan or use a photochemical darkroom if you want big enlargements. But it sounds like Mike just wants to digitize the negatives so they're in digital form, not make a bunch of giant prints.