Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: please post your petzval shots

Re: please post your petzval shots

I purchased a Petzval from Richard Rankin many months ago. After dismantling it, cleaning it, and putting it back together I was rather disappointed with the results. Just not what I expected.

A couple weeks ago I got a 400mm projection petzval off ebay for a very little. Dismantled it, cleaned it, and checked a design diagram to make sure I reassembled it properly. Thought I'd check the one I got from Richard...you know...just in case. I had elements reversed.

Anyway, here is one I made with it on 8X10 X-ray film...after fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I purchased a Petzval from Richard Rankin many months ago. After dismantling it, cleaning it, and putting it back together I was rather disappointed with the results. Just not what I expected.

A couple weeks ago I got a 400mm projection petzval off ebay for a very little. Dismantled it, cleaned it, and checked a design diagram to make sure I reassembled it properly. Thought I'd check the one I got from Richard...you know...just in case. I had elements reversed.

Randy, you'd be amazed how often that happens. When the rear element unscrews from the rear as a 'piece' and you have a retaining ring to get them out, it is really easy to get them mixed up going back in. To do it correctly almost seems like you are doing it backwards. I've used dozens of them and still keep a link to the lens diagram, just in case...

Is the green or blue x-ray film? I have some blue 8x10 that I'm going to try and cut down to 6 1/2" x 8 1/2" and try out.

Richard

Oh yeah. That's lookin' fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rankin View Post
    Is the green or blue x-ray film? I have some blue 8x10 that I'm going to try and cut down to 6 1/2" x 8 1/2" and try out.

Richard
    This is the green latitude (CSX), shot at ISO 50, HC-110 "H", 68 degrees, 8 minutes (tray processing).

Quote Originally Posted by bigguy88 View Post
    ha quite an interesting photo with that costume head. any other heads?
    Thanks for the comment. No more animal heads, but I've posted several other mannequin shots in the LFF Petzval thread. Rather than repost them again, here's links to them on my Flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4905743...in/photostream

I work the "swing shift" so I get off duty at 11pm five nights a week, so I do a lot of time exposures in front of closed stores with bright windows. I often use that unmarked 6" Gem-type petzval lens, and am a little surprised how well it handles flarey scenes, although I've never directly compared it to other antique lenses.

Richard Rankin, good to hear from you again. I've gotten a fair amount of use out of the "ugly" magic lantern lens I bought from you. No, I never saw "Donnie Darko"; after reading on Wikki that it's about a teen-ager who has hallucinations of a "demonic, menacing rabbit", I don't wanna see it--I'm an owner of a cute little cage-free house-rabbit who has the eerie ability to chew and expose both wire conductors in a hot extension cord, and survive! Heh...

--Leigh M.

Testing out some old aerial film and a ten inch magic lantern Petzval. Boring, I know, but I felt like posting.

It was a bright overcast afternoon. The chair is rendered as I figured it would be, but the grass being so dark? The film is blue sensitive; does that have something to do with it? This is a straight negative scan with few adjustments.

Jonathan

That's awesome.

I purchased a Petzval from Richard Rankin many months ago.

here's a 4x5 ambrotype made by Burke & James Ajax len shot on pacemaker speed graphic made with recent collodion batch. while there's no f-stop marking, i believe this len correlated well with a max aperture of f/5.6

Here's a 4x5 Tri-X picture of an 1850s petzval, taken with an 1860s petzval:

Hotel Romantic por rabato, en Flickr

Hotel Romantic por rabato, en Flickr

Maybe somebody can explain the streaks on the wall shooting up from the table and chair?