Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: please post your petzval shots

Re: please post your petzval shots

This is a full plate tintype shot with a Dallmeyer 2B.

I should also add that it was a 14 second (!) exposure. My leg hurts thinking about it.

Andrew Moxom

Here's what I did to mount a petzval or two on my Blad 201F... Two ABS plumbing fittings. One male and one female. Some gaffa tape, JB Weld and a modified body cap.

The most difficult part is hogging out the inside of the body cap. I did it by drilling a hole right in the middle using the plastic mould casting sprew on the back of the cap as a guide. I started with a small drill, then worked up to a 1/4". I then place the cap onto 1/4" made out of an old router bit that was mounted onto a block of wood mounted to the router table. Using a but underneath, I turned the cap around the central pin and gradually shaved the inside/front of the cap down. It takes a little while but if you are patient and careful you can do it with minimal problems. You cannot go all the way down, but after a while the inside piece loosens and the outside rim and a small shelf on the inside is all that's left. You then JB weld the male ABS plumbing part inside the cap with the thread sticking our the front. After placing a piece of gaffa tape on the threads, it gives a friction fit of the female plumbing piece. It's this piece that is gaffa taped to the lens itself using two strips as can be seen here. Then lens and adaptor then can be stuck over the threads. You can cut these plumbing pieces to whatever length you need to achieve infinity focus. Being friction fit, you can adjust the close focus of the lens, as well as gain some rudimentary movements for tilt. I've used this set up since last fall and it's VERY CHEAP, and just needs a little patience in the workshop.... YMMV. There are also a few shots I made last March.

my Petzval test ( 240-250 mm. / 5.6 ?)

Petzval vs Fujinon 250 6.3

4x5 Efke 25. Darlot lens.

I was going for lots of swirlies here!

Dave,

very nice!

In reaction to SERGE's pictures above: Images sure to make any Russian weep with nostalgia - blue skies, green grass, and birches. Beautiful treatment of the subject, and just the right lens. Reminds me of the work of Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii - http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/gorskii.html
    Last edited by Alex Hollmann; 24-May-2010 at 19:48. Reason: left out whose pictures I was reacting to

Serge,

I love these Petzval shots in color. The first one is my favorite among the three.

Alex,
    Yes images from this lens throw us in olden days.I still plan to remove portraits and not just Russian nature

Hugo
    These are my very first shots on Petzval (test). And I have passed to the large format only one month ago.

I have cleaned a wire then. It in the course of manual assemblage was glued by a material so.Toyo Field 45 AII with

BW ERA 100

That's a nice adaptation Serge. Would you mind sharing more pics or howto's on the Sinar Shutter to Toyo? I have a Toyo Field 45A and it would be nice to work something like it, specially if the shutter could still be used on a Sinar.