Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: please post your petzval shots

Re: please post your petzval shots

4x5 ambrotype , re-used developer w/ old silver bath, made as a test shot for Pathe Freres Paris 200mm ~f/6.

I cut the rear 1" off of my 7.25"/~f2.8 Kollmorgen Snaplite cine projection lens, and it has more coverage on 4x5. Mine is the older (Series I?) version with the gold front ring. Used a 4x5 Pacemaker and TMAX 400 for these.

First shot is of a old caboose at the Goleta Depot Museum--will try to get another shot showing the entire "crummy". (Railroad slang for "caboose".)

Second shot yet another window-display mannequin, obviously--. Gotta take more pictures of real people... but at least mannequins don't move or complain about their portraits.

Leigh,

That second one is great. Really nice.

Jonathan

Jonathan, thanks. I've also really liked your results with your Aero-Ektar, and eventually am going to try to use more camera movements on this 7.25" Kollmorgen to try to get some of the wild DOF you're able to do so well. --Leigh M.

Leigh,

I was born and raised in Santa Barbara, up until age eighteen, so I appreciate your SB photographs. Sometimes I can tell just where a photo was taken even without too many landmarks!

Thanks for the kind AE comments. I really love the lens but I try not to get carried away with the whole tilt/swing/shift business. Plenty of times the only interesting thing about some of my shots is the lens effect itself, and that's never a good idea. But when done well a good photograph can be enhanced by the right about of lens funkiness.

I have two B&L Cinephors I need to mount for the Speed Graphic and then I'll have some smaller Petzvals to play with. I've never used a Kollmorgen but I have to assume most of those mid-century projection lenses are similar.

Jonathan

Kodak 2D 8x10, 10" lantern Petzval, T-Max 400.

I grossly overexposed this image by seven stops but was able to salvage it somewhat with some severe pull development. I HATE wasting this film. I wouldn't have even shot this image with it, but the overexposure was on account of thinking I had other film loaded. Learn from my mistake: ALWAYS MARK YOUR HOLDERS AND DON'T PROCEED FROM MEMORY!!!!

Jonathan

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

leigh

I love the shot number two

beautiful warm tone, sharp, sparkly, great background, 10/10
    through a glass darkly...

Wow, this is actually a good photo, but, our crappy scanner really sucks.
    And all this dust! It's horrible.
    This does not do this photo justice, even though it is a small instant film.
    4x5 Sinar f2, Darlot gem type petzval ~3 1/2" tall, f5, black hoody "shutter" at 5 sec, Fuji instant FP-100C45

@ leigh, great ones loving it!

4 1/2" f2.6 Unnamed British brass Petzval lens on speed graphic, works great 1-2m distance for close up portraits

Thanks for the good feedback! A couple more from the 7.25" Kollmorgen projection petzval. First is an old baggage cart at the Goleta Depot Railroad Museum near Santa Barbara. The second is yet another costume shop window display mannequin, a disco-y dude. Tried to place his dark wig against a lighter background, but the many bright spotlights made me choose this spot.