Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Padded bag to hold tripod on backpack?

LJ Segil

Re: Padded bag to hold tripod on backpack?

Feisol makes a nice, though unpadded, bag, supplied with a new tripod, that will easily fit its branded tripod with at least a moderately sized head attached and not add significant bulk or weight to the naked tripod/head. Would offer good scratch/snag (though the bag handle might be flapping in the breeze) protection, but probably not do much to prevent the big ding. Don't know if they are available without a tripod thrown in, but Kerry at Really Big Cameras could answer that one.
    LJS

Cool Re: Padded bag to hold tripod on backpack?

Quote Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
    Is there such a thing, or does anyone know of something close that I could adapt? I'm adding a nice padded interior to hold my camera/lenses/etc. in an Osprey pack, but the tripod needs to go outside. I routinely scramble between/over rocks, so I'd like a padded bag or sleeve that I could attach vertically to the outside of the pack, and then slide the tripod and head down the bag. I use a Linhof Large Leveling Head (003659) mounted on a Gitzo 11xx carbon tripod. Thanks.
    Show us a photo of your Osprey pack. My Osprey has a daisy chain webbing down the center on the backside-side away from my back. Short straps around the tripod and through the webbing loops hold the tripod very securly. With the tripod centered and behind me, I will take a beating before the tripod does. Padded bag not required. IMHO. YMMV.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

For a while I used a sleeping pad stuff sack lined with a piece of ensolite - it fit a G1228 and Acra Tech head nicely. Lately I haven't found the need to pad the pod.

if you will buy the bag check out calumets padded tripod bags. They come in 3 or 4 lengths and seem reasonably priced compared to Bogen/Manfroto and others
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

I think a padded case would be a bit heavy for backpacking or general carrying. If you are just walking around town, the baby stroller option is good.

If you just want a protective cover, you might adapt one of the carry bags that folding camping chairs come with and put a padded wrap around the tripod head.

I also use a folding chair bag. It's light, cheap (free chair included), hides the fact that an expensive tripod is inside, and it protects the legs from scratches without the need for padding.

I sewed a nicely padded and adjustable strap from a duffle bag onto the chair bag with a little reinforcing at the bag. The bag is slung over my shoulder and hangs nicely beside me and is quick and easy to remove.

On long hikes the strap tends to chaffe my neck so I made a small strap with quick disconnects about 5" long that cinches the bag strap and the backpack shoulder strap together and away from my neck. When the short strap gets removed it gets clipped around the bag strap where it is easy to find.The Eddie Bauer bags look a little stronger than the one I have.

As I do long hikes keeping the weight to a minimum was a priority.

that's what you're looking for:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_products.html