Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Padded bag to hold tripod on backpack?

Padded bag to hold tripod on backpack?

Is there such a thing, or does anyone know of something close that I could adapt? I'm adding a nice padded interior to hold my camera/lenses/etc. in an Osprey pack, but the tripod needs to go outside. I routinely scramble between/over rocks, so I'd like a padded bag or sleeve that I could attach vertically to the outside of the pack, and then slide the tripod and head down the bag. I use a Linhof Large Leveling Head (003659) mounted on a Gitzo 11xx carbon tripod. Thanks.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Re: Padded bag to hold tripod on backpack?

I have seen them from Manfrotto, but they are too expensive for me.
    I have the LowePro Computrekker that has a provision for a tripod , will never use that feature though.

Peter

B&H Photo sells many tripod bags, padded and unpadded. Why not take a look, and then shop around locally or elsewhere on the web to find the best price?
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Store bought tripod bags are going to be heavy. I use two nylon bags left over from a pair of folding nylon chairs. I haven't bothered with padding, but I would think that some bubble wrap would work.

I use an ancient Osprey pack as well. Good gear.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Years ago I became fed up with high price filter pockets that leach plastic chemicals on to good glass filters. I started to make my own filter holders with canvas outside, flannel inside with light foam air conditioner filter in between. Works better than anything on the market. They may not look as good as a Domke but they work a lot better.

You have a need, try making a lightweight tripod bag yourself. It can be designed just for your model backpack and your size tripod and head.

The original LowePro Super Trecker featured a removable tripod tube with a built-in shoulder strap. Later versions eschewed the tube for a bungie cord lashing system.

I can understand why they moved away from the tube. In an effort to save weight on long backpacks, I usually removed the tube and lashed the tripod to the pack with the straps that normally held the tube in place. A lens bag over the tripod head can minimize damage from inadvertent scrapes.

The tube was useful for air travel.

I use straps from my pack to attack my tripod with head up. And then just use a small bag over the head to protect it from dust/moisture exposure. I would think a bag/sleeve would collect debree/mosture at the bottom. It might also be a bit more cumbersome for access when you need to set up your camera quickly (light fading, etc... ).
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

How much padding? I made a tripod bag a few years ago out of the leg of an old pair of jeans. I sewed up the ankle end and made a drawstring for the top. I think that should protect your tripod well enough from most desert abuse.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
    Is there such a thing, or does anyone know of something close that I could adapt? I'm adding a nice padded interior to hold my camera/lenses/etc. in an Osprey pack, but the tripod needs to go outside. I routinely scramble between/over rocks, so I'd like a padded bag or sleeve that I could attach vertically to the outside of the pack, and then slide the tripod and head down the bag. I use a Linhof Large Leveling Head (003659) mounted on a Gitzo 11xx carbon tripod. Thanks.
    I have used bike handlebar tape to wrap the legs of my G3540XLS and cover my BH55 head with a neoprene padded bag. The only exposed bits are the leg angle locks and the spider, both of which are rugged enough to take a fair bashing. If you are worried about the spider+locks, you could always make a head cover that fitted over the spider too - it would look like the top of a condom - a tripod prophylactic of sorts.. :-)

Tim
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

I made a system for my day pack with some nylon, climbing accessory rope and some velcro. I'm very happy with it and weighs next to nothing. The tripod isn't covered, but it hasn't been damaged in the couple of years I've been using this system either.

The tripod holster is basically a panel of nylon shaped to match up with the compression straps of the pack. There is a pocket roughly 4" deep at the bottom for the feet of the tripod and some velcro straps to wrap around the legs higher up. The rope segments are looped back on themselves to fit around the compression straps and sewn into the panel.

I don't have a detailed image, but it is the light blue bit holding the tripod in this image. link

With my backpacking pack, the tripod just gets lashed to the side.

On the plus side, the legs on the Velbon CF tripods are all covered in foam, so there is little to worry about.