Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Field Choices..

4x5 Field Choices..

hello all... I'm considering buying a 4x5 field camera...but lot of choices...all things cons idered... could you please give me some advices on top and midrange (quality and prices)... also which 4x5 field will take the Sinar's lens board? ...I shoot la ndscape mostly on the field... thanks in advance

4x5 Field Choices..

Dan, what sort of focal length lenses will you use?

4x5 Field Choices..

I want to add my lenses choices... 210mm and a 90mm. thanks

4x5 Field Choices..

Most of the big names in landscape (John Sexton, David Muench, John Gravilis, John Fielder, etc, use the Linhof Master Technika.

Because of them, I bought a MT and used it for years. Very fine field camera. But I needed more.

So I bought a Technikardan 45S, which is a full featured view camera that thinks it is a field camera. I'm extremely happy with the TK. It satisfies all of my large format needs. Marvelous camera.

99% of my work is color landscapes.

4x5 Field Choices..

i'd consider the Linhof TK45s, the Arca-Swiss 45Fc and the only true field camera of this trio: the Canham DLC. The Ebony cameras get great reviews from some people butthey (like other variations on the Deardorff theme, seem to fiddle-y for me. the Linhof technika is also a very fine camera but if you are used to working with the capability of a monorail camera (I'm going to assume that you are already working with the Sinar P) you might be a wee bit frustrated with the drop the base rais the front and tilt front and back to use wide angle lenses, at least those 75mm and shorter. The DLC gets around this by letting you putthe lens atthe front of the bed and bringing the rear standard forward. It won't feel as precise as a Sinar P, the Arca-Swiss or the TK45s but it gets the job done very niely and is quick to operate and locks up all nice and rigid, even at long extentions.

4x5 Field Choices..

Ellis, can you explain what you mean by your comment about the Ebony (and other similar cameras) as being "too fiddle-y"?

4x5 Field Choices..

Jim,

What did you need that the MT didn't have that prompted you to move to a Technikardan?

4x5 Field Choices..

Thanks Ellis...and others too.... Ellis you're right... I use the Sinar..A..F.. P for years..dragging them from studio to field...lot of weight...I think that a Linhof field will a luxury for me...

thanks again

4x5 Field Choices..

I own a Canham DLC 45 and love it. It weighs under 5 pounds, has a 21 inch bellows, and can work with a 75mm lens without changing to a bag bellows. Not much in movements with that setup, but doable.

Keith Canham is a wonderful person to have a conversation with, and that is what convinced me over other brands and models.

If you can, definitely rent some different field cameras before you buy.

Also, what is your budget? This will make the world of a difference.

4x5 Field Choices..

I think that your best option is to replace your current lens boards with Linhof T. model and buy an adapter for these on your Sinar,it is true that this costs quite a bit of money but at the end, it opens new possibilities. However, if most of 4"x5" use Linhof(like) boards, it is equally true that many 8"x!0" use Sinar(like) boards, so why don't you grow up to this format, especially if you already have lots of 4x5 maybe it could offer you a nice expansion of your activities, clients like real large ground glasses!