Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: advice on Cooke with stuck Soft focus

advice on Cooke with stuck Soft focus

I have a really beautiful 14.5" (370mm) Cooke Series II portrait lens.

the condition on the lens is really fantastic, with a deep warm glow to it - it looks like a lens that havn't been used much..

However, the soft focus mecanism is stuck - as firmly as it can be.. which obviously is a shame..

I have tried to soak the soft focus with oil, but it is atill stuck.

The condition of the lense is so fine, that I actually don't think old dust or something similar would cause this problem.

on the back of the lens ther is a little plate with what it seems like two screws screwed into the glass (the moving part of the lense?)

I am tempted to try and remove these screws, but I think I have read somewhere, that they are there for a reason to begin with..
    That Cooke did this , as the moving lense had to be placed with much precision...

So, my question to you is: would there be a way to make the soft focus work, without destroying the lense all together?

(I have another, slightly smaller Cooke, I can use.. so I won't risk too much..)

I have taken some pictures of the stuff mentioned above..

Re: advice on Cooke with stuck Soft focus

Given the value of the lens, I'd send it to a professional like S.K. Grimes, or sell it as-is. Especially since the screws seem to be "jailhouse" screws that can't be removed by conventional means.

You're looking for the second of three possible outcomes (which is fine, I'd do exactly what you are).

1. Send it to Grimes and stop worrying. Downside is time and money
    2. Fix it yourself if there's an easy fix.
    3. Try to fix it yourself and destroy a rare and valuable lens, not to mention a beautiful one.

Cheers,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    Given the value of the lens, I'd send it to a professional like S.K. Grimes, or sell it as-is. Especially since the screws seem to be "jailhouse" screws that can't be removed by conventional means.

You're looking for the second of three possible outcomes (which is fine, I'd do exactly what you are).

1. Send it to Grimes and stop worrying. Downside is time and money
    2. Fix it yourself if there's an easy fix.
    3. Try to fix it yourself and destroy a rare and valuable lens, not to mention a beautiful one.

Cheers,

Steve
    Thanks Steve.
    You're right of course.
    My problem is, that S.K.Grimes is far, far away, it would cost me a fortune in shipping - repair costs and not to mention taxes and customs fees to do this....

On the other hand, I got this for free (!!!) as a gift from a student, so maybe that could be an argument to send it to repair....

I've taken a snap og the other lense screw holder so you can compare.. this liiks original.
    The ""jailhouse" screws" you mention; is that a sign of a later fixation on the lense?

Perhaps someone who repairs old clocks or watches, could do a fine job in repairing the lens. There must be many such people, close to your home.

I had a similar problem with my lens. I took it to Rudy Lingg in California and Focal Point in Colorado. Neither one could free the mechanism. I ended up trading it for a couple Daguerreotype era lenses to a guy who just wanted a display lens.

Mine didn't have the two chips in along the lens edge.

When making recommendations, you should be aware the OP is in Europe, not the USA. I think it would be good to always mention "where" you are located if you are seeking recommendations for vendors of services.

I think I might have the solution, will look at the lens when I am in Europe in July again.

Greetings,
    Peter
    The Hague, The Netherlands, Goiânia, Brazil

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I wonder whether Cooke Optics would accept it in their service shop? From their site:

"All new products are provided with a 12-month warranty that includes parts and labour when returned to Cooke in the UK or an authorised warranty service agent. Beyond the first 12 months, Cooke provides a rapid-service facility in the UK at a competitive hourly rate plus parts. Call or e-mail for prompt answers to any questions."

It could be worth asking them. They might have the original design specs still on file, too. (I'd guess the lens is a little bit beyond the "first 12 months...")
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

multiplex

jim galli i think has this same lens .. and maybe has
    taken his apart to work on it. maybe if he sees this thread
    he can suggest what the screws should look like.

I remember talking to Adam Dau about a Cooke he had on the bench. The mechanism was stuck. They managed to unstick it, but it took very careful and powerful incremental force. This is not a Do-it-yourself job.... that would be a major mistake. Get it fixed properly or sell it.