Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Important news - Denver Post 8/21/01

Important news - Denver Post 8/21/01

For those of you who like to back pack into your favorite scenic vista and make photographs....you need to read this. This mornings DENVER POST, page 7B....is a n article by Post reporter and editorial board member, Penelope Purdy..a good fr iend. The article it titled, "Resounding uproar over fees". You need to read it!....unless you don't care abo ut paying feed for access to the wild federal lands where you take your great ph otographs. If you don't care, this is what you can expect. You can expect to see a money drop-box at the wilderness sites you so revere, and carry alot of dolla r bills with you. At the rate we are going, your going to have to backpack five five miles into the wilderness vista you want to record, and just at the perimet er, you will have to drop a few of your dollars into the box, get a permit, and pay your fee. This is YOUR land...federal land owned by US...THE PEOPLE. I stron gly urge each of you to go on the Denver Post internet site, read this article, and understand the threat this project represents. Make your voices heard,...unl ess of course, you don't mind having a $$$ permit to access the wilderness you a nd other taxpayers own....and are willing to pay a fee to set up your tripod. TH INK ABOUT IT! Richard Boulware - Denver.

Richard, remember when we were young and you could go to a national park without paying a fee to get in or dues of any kind because you were a citizen of this country and the citizens were the government, well, that is not the case any more, we are still citizens, but we no longer run the country, the BLM, National Park Police, National Park Service and who knows how many other agencies run them for their own interests. Pat

Here is the story address:

www.denverpost.com/stories/0,1002,154%257E111503,00.html

The more folks know about this subject in whatever state they live in, the better we all are.

At the risk of getting crucified, let me say that I actually think the fees at US national parks are too LOW. While it's nice to say that every American should contribute equally to the tab for managing wilderness lands, as with any other realm in our society I don't think it's wrong for those who use something the most to contribute a few dollars more for its upkeep.

I know it's an unpopular position; I suppose I've talked with too many park rangers who relate endless stories of tourists who spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to travel hundreds or thousands of miles to a park or wilderness area and then balk at paying a $10 entry fee (for something far more fulfilling than any amusement park!).

............. ............. ......

The Denver Post article concerns fees for National Forests, not National Parks. National Parks have for a long time charged fees for entrance. A one-year pass allowing entrance to all US National Parks is $50 per vehicle (or at Rocky Mountain National Park, $30 for an annual pass, or $15 for a 7 day pass). For $15 additional ($65 total), a Golden Eagle Yearly Pass can be obtained to also include fees for all sites managed by the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U. S. Forest Service, and the Bureau of Land Management. If a "per person" fee is charged instead of "per vehicle," the pass includes all persons in the immediate family.

I guess their not making as much money bringing drugs into the country as they use to.... Thanks for the heads up.

I pay my fee every year, its called taxes. Pat

We all pay many "taxes" or "fees" that are based on "usage" rather than income or headcount. These include fees (or taxes) on gasoline, automobile licenses, toll roads, public museums, etc.

WAKE UP YOU CLOWNS! Have you even read the article? WE are talking about fees on BLM land, National Forests etc. NOBODY is talking about an entrance fee for "JELLYSTONE NATIONAL PARK"! WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ANY FEDERAL LAND! ANY Federal land. Purdy says in her first paragraph...." national forests and other public land"! I've got it! How about you treking for ten miles with your view camera into a remote site of a pristine water fall on federal land controled by the BLM. You get to your site, and you see a yellow Kodak arrow that says this is a greap "Photo OP'! Right next to the Kodak sign, it says, "Please deposit five dollars as a fee to place your tripod in the ground, and help us prevent soil errosion. PERMIT REQUIRED FOR TRIPOD"! WAKE up and smell the coffee, boys. Sorry for the nasayers who responded without even reading the article by purdy, but, like others, I think I paid my fee on IRS DAY, APRIL 15th! WHAT YOU NOW TAKE FOR GRANTED, WILL SOON BE LOST, UNLESS YOU PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR POSTERIOR AND MAKE YOUR VIEWS KNOW TO YOUR REGIONAL U.S.REPRESENTATIVE. I figure a spot at Yosemite, and an Ansel Adams spot will be at least $20...just to plant your tripod. THINK ABOUT IT!

Yes Richard, we read it. I mentioned that the fees are for National Forests (not National Parks) in my post above (Didn't you read it!). Speaking of user fees, how come you are not complaining about the $300-500 in fees (over and above the sales tax on gasoline) you pay each year for gasoline? What about fees to attend public colleges, toll roads, etc. Do you object to these fees also?