Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a 4x5 portable camera.

Re: Looking for a 4x5 portable camera.

I remain a big fan and user of the Technikardan. It meets your specs for wide angle with movements and there are roll film adaptors available.Being a folding monorail, it is quite versatile.
    Bill McMannis

Really the only camera that has the specs I want is a light monorail camera, I begin to be aware of that.
    Of course I like technikardan camera but is very expensive, Any alternatives?

You're not going to know what you want from this camera until you've had some shooting experience with large format. It doesn't make sense to over-think the first purchase when the likelihood is that you'll change after you've shot in the field with it.

This is particularly true now when there are so many great buys in the classifieds and ebay. A lot of the outfits are being sold by people who bought very nice lenses and bodies and didn't really know what shooting in LF was really like. Everyone sees the sharp photos and then concludes that its just a matter of getting a set of fancy tools.

I'd suggest a Crown Graphic folding, or maybe a Calumet monorail, with one lens, for a starting outfit of less than $400. Then see how it suits your creative flow and go from there. You can't really know your future, you've just got to go out and do it, which may not make any sense to you at the moment.

JY

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    You're not going to know what you want from this camera until you've had some shooting experience with large format. It doesn't make sense to over-think the first purchase when the likelihood is that you'll change after you've shot in the field with it.

This is particularly true now when there are so many great buys in the classifieds and ebay. A lot of the outfits are being sold by people who bought very nice lenses and bodies and didn't really know what shooting in LF was really like. Everyone sees the sharp photos and then concludes that its just a matter of getting a set of fancy tools.

I'd suggest a Crown Graphic folding, or maybe a Calumet monorail, with one lens, for a starting outfit of less than $400. Then see how it suits your creative flow and go from there. You can't really know your future, you've just got to go out and do it, which may not make any sense to you at the moment.

JY
    I know what you mean Mandoman7 but I donīt like to buy two times.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiojaenlara View Post
    I know what you mean Mandoman7 but I donīt like to buy two times.
    LF is a process, including picking a camera.

Hi boys, Happy New Year by the way!
    I am still searching for a camera.
    What about sinars f1 or alpina?

Another vote for the Alpina (Wolf in the UK. Also A1 elsewhere). Light, full movements, almost bombproof. And a tenth of the price of many 45's! Sinar bits except the rails all fit and that's a big plus. There's one listed on the UK e-thing now.

I think that mandoman7 has his point, as many have come and gone after much decision making and spending on the allure of LF. If your a professional making his living at photography then yes I'd spend and get what I want, but probably in a used package. If I had shot LF and liked the format I'd even buy something new to get an outfit that is seen less often in used condition. But if I was a hobbyist I'll tell you that LF is a format that one has to be dedicated to to use and I would not go spending alot of money in it till I tried it out. It's much easier to pickup a Mamiya 6x7 and and take a walk then to so the same with a 4x5 or above.
    Now to make a suggestion, I'd would have you look at professional photographers websites, seeing what their genre is and if it concurs with yours, then reading their Tech/equipment section to see what they use. Architectural photographers need things general open landscape photographers may not, and many times that results in two cameras and many different lenses, besides accessories, that can enlarge a spending spree beyond expectations.