Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 4x5 portable camera.

Looking for a 4x5 portable camera.

Hi, this is Sergio from Spain and this is my first post.
    I am now using a wonderful Mamiya 7 camera but I want more control on my captures.
    May be I am looking for something that doesn´t exists but I would try.

- 4x5 camera accepting roll backs (6x7, 6x9 and 6x12).
    - Portable, light, all around camera, documental, landscape, architecture.
    - Accepting wide angle lenses and a portrait lens. Not only accepting wide angle but also having movements with them.

May be the only alternatives are ebony's sv45 series or ebony 45su, at the other hand lookin at shen hao's hz camera it seems a 45su copy at six times the ebony´s price.
    I know the finish won`t be near equal.
    All people I have asked near me told me that I have to choose or a field camera or a
    monorail camera for architecture, but may be I can find a mixed option.

What about toyo 45 aII or wista sp?
    As you can see I am very confused about my election but I think there isn´t a better place to ask than this forum.

Re: Looking for a 4x5 portable camera.

Sergio,

You may receive a lot of answers since there are a few cameras out there, but I do not think there is the 'one' camera that does it all and is lightweight.

I settled on an Arca Swiss monorail for studio and an Ebony RSW for outside. I also have a beautiful Ebony 45SU, but I am thinking of selling it since deciding to keep the AS and the RSW. I bought the RSW (Robert White exclusive model) for use with a 6x12 back outside and this seems to be all I need. I wish I had the $ for the Ebony 617s, but I think it is over-priced for my needs.

Happy trails through the LF world,
    Darr

Octogenarian

For architectural work, you're going to need more front rise than a Toyo AII or a Wista SP is capable of providing (wide angle capability).

An Arca Swiss F would be ideal, and there are several other monorail cameras that can also do the job. However, what you will gain in extended movements will be lost in portability.

Check out Mike Walker's wide angle cameras.

A Linhof Technika is probably about the best combination you're going to get to meet all those requirements. Weight w/o lens is about 6#.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Consulting the pineal gland

I wonder if you might consider two cameras, both taking the same lensboards. Doing large movements with wide lenses you probably want to consider certain monorails with bag bellows. Yet, portability becomes an issue. For documentary photography you might want a camera which could be used handheld or on a monopod, and for that something like the Linhof Super Technica V might fit your needs, though they are not exactly light.

A lot of times you can find or have made a lensboard adapter so that, for example, you could use an Arca Swiss with Linhof lensboards.

IMHO, with 4x5 compared to MF and 35mm, you have no "right" camera but rather excellent cameras which are well suited to certain purposes while being less suited to others.

Anyone mention the Gowland All-moves?

You might consider the Canham DLC metal field. I've been using one for years for everything from architectural to landscape work and find that it meets all the requirements you've listed.

The Canham design allows the full use of focal lengths from long telephoto to extreme wide-angle with the standard bellows. I regularly use lenses ranging from a long 450mm Fuji to a very wide 55mm Rodenstock with very good range of movements. It accepts Wista/Horseman 6x9 and 6x12 roll film backs and also the Cambo series of reflex and in-line viewers. The Canham is very light, very compact and combines the best features of both monorail and flatbed field designs.

The Sinar Alpina with the Sinar roll film back (zoom holder), is worth a look in.
    Be a slave to technology, or shoot film.
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com
    www.photorepair.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lewis View Post
    The Sinar Alpina with the Sinar roll film back (zoom holder), is worth a look in.
    I have a Alpina which I use in the field and am quite happy with. With a bag bellows I have used a 47mm Super Angulon with no problems. I don't backpack with it, I put the camera on the tripod at the car and then walk with it. I have shot all day this way. Alpina's can be had quite cheaply these days.

Roger Thoms

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Anyone mention the Gowland All-moves?
    I don't think so, but I would have if you didn't! Vaughn

http://www.petergowland.com/camera/