Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Long Weekend in Yosemite

A Long Weekend in Yosemite

I headed up to Yosemite Valley this past week-end. My main purpose was to make a few carbon prints in the Ansel Adams Gallery darkroom -- a test run before I teach a workshop in carbon printing there next month. While I like surprises, I do not want any (or at least not many) in a workshop situation.

The first thing I loaded into the van was my 8x10 in its pack, then my tripod. Then I went through my long list of things I needed to make carbon prints, tossed in some clothes and a sleeping bag, and headed off.

About 420 miles into my 500 mile drive, I suddenly remembered that I never put my dozen loaded 8x10 holders in the van. First it was a feeling of unbelief. Then I just had to laugh...what else could one do?! When life hands you lemons, and you forget the sugar, all you can do is pucker up!

So anyway, I arrived in the afternoon on Friday and spent all day Saturday working in AA's old darkroom behind the Ansel Adams Gallery making carbon prints (the darkroom and facilities will work great for the workshop!)

I stayed with a friend who lives in the Valley and who happened to have an extra medium format camera and lots of film. So I spent all day Sunday and half the day Monday with his Mamiya 23 (ground glass viewing/focusing, back movements, 100mm 150mm and 250mm lenses, and two roll backs...6x7 & 6x9). I had a blast. I shot 8 rolls of B&W film with the idea of making small platinum prints directly from the negatives.

A few flakes of snow on Friday, one or two Monday morning, and great weather all weekend. I revisited some places I had used the 8x10 in the past, I photographed some icons, I photographed photographers photographing the last light on Half Dome, and I made new-to-me images. I am looking forward to developing the film.

The Mamiya 23 is an interesting camera -- probably would drive someone nuts who was not use to view cameras. The shutter/lens combos are like those on LF cameras, and using the GG and then removing it to attached the roll back is not too unlike using a 4x5 (even down to the darkslide on the roll back.)

I also got to see the Yosemite Renaissance Show. Jim Fitzgerald's and Jon Shiu's photographs were wonderful! I'll have to step up to the plate and give the show my best effort next year!

Vaughn

I did not see one LF camera being used...lots of digital, including a gentleman photographing two models in white bikinis in the snow along the Merced River

Re: A Long Weekend in Yosemite

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I did not see one LF camera being used...lots of digital, including a gentleman photographing two models in while bikinis in the snow along the Merced River
    They'd be frozen to death by the time a LF camera be set up :-)

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    They'd be frozen to death by the time a LF camera be set up :-)
    They had heavy robes on for in between exposures (pun intended)...and there was another gentleman waiting in warmed-up black SUV about 50 yards away.

Vaughn

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Vaughn,, I can't wait to see your stuff.. funny,, I left my tripod home once but I was only 90 miles away

Jeez Vaughn, I almost feel sorry for you.

Missed you by 1 day....I was there with my 8x10 last thursday(with 20 holders), Conditions were great!
    David Silva
    Modesto, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Missed you by 1 day....I was there with my 8x10 last thursday(with 20 holders), Conditions were great!
    David Silva
    Modesto, Ca
    Yeah, yeah, rub the salt into the wounds... Hope you got some great images!!!!!

Vaughn

Good story Vaughn. I too await the results.

Next time this happens, and I hope it never does, buy a bag of disposable cameras in the gift shop. That should stretch your skills.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

i left my film holder, 300 miles away, luckily my friend has 2 spare, so every 4 shots I have to reload, Vaughn, hope you got great images with Mamiya
    quiet-light.blogspot.com

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Vaughn, I can relate. I'm crazy and I would have turned around! But then again I know this was a dry run for the workshop. I only wish I would have been able to meet you there. I would have brought both the 11x14 and the 8x10 and you could have used my holders. Too bad I had to help my son filming his movie in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Jim