Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filter setups for lenses with large center filters

LJ Segil

Filter setups for lenses with large center filters

I am a little confused as to the best way to handle filters on the 150mm SSXL, or for that matter, the 72mm SAXL. My understanding is that it is best to keep the center filter next to the lens to preserve Schneider's radial graduated density at the designed distance from the lens front. That means that any filter I want to add to the CF has to have either a 110mm screw ring, and I'm not having much luck finding polarizers of that size, or using the Cokin system that has an adapter that goes up to 118mm (push on, o.d of the CF is 115mm). Apparently Lee tops out at 105mm for their biggest adapter and 100mm width on their filters which won't quite cover. It sounds like the Cokin system can work, as it will hold a polarizer and an ND grad which is what I figure I'll use most commonly, or an ND grad and an appropriate B&W filter. The problem I'm having (aside from the expense), is it seems to me that I have read some criticisms of the Cokin filters as not being up to the quality of some of the other manufacturers, and I'd rather not sink a lot of money into an inferior system. Are there any Cokin users out there who can refute the question of the quality of the Cokin filters? And of course, is there some other way I can game this system to achieve appropriate filtration? I don't think I can really forgo the CF all the time as I use the 150mm as a wide for 8x10 and the 72mm for 5x7 and usually shoot chromes so I'm afraid light falloff might be too big a problem without the CF.
    Thoughts or advice?
    LJS

Eric Woodbury

Re: Filter setups for lenses with large center filters

LJS

I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that wide angle lenses and polarizers don't always agree with each, especially outside. If the sky is in your scene, you will find large variations in the polarization of the sky and thus the depth of the blue color. I understand this is how bees navigate, using the sky polarization. For filters on the 72mm XL, I use gels. Thinner filters distort less as the angle from normal increases.

I have used the Calumet plastic polarizer on normal and tele lenses. Works fine. Don't know who makes it. On wides, it is more trouble than it is worth. But I don't shoot color or use CFs. Good luck.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

The 72XL has more fall-off than the old 75.
    The best thing you can do it make a test with the 72XL on B&W and see if you can live without tne center filter.

Using a pol filter on an ultra-wide is allways a problem because you need a filter size that is larger than the front of the lens, otherwise you will loose on your IC.

Peter

You can tape 4" gel or polyester filters to the center filter. The tape should be placed on sides corresponding to the long sides of the frame (or wherever is appropriate, given any camera movements for a particular shot) to avoid vignetting.

Lee sells a 115mm push-on filter holder for this application (see attached photos). Robert White sells it in the U.K. (see http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product...1379&PT_ID=501) and Lee USA can special order it.

I use the 115mm push-on holder (with two filter slots configured) with my SS150XL with CF and it works fine. The difference between the CF diameter and 100mm width of the Lee filters is small and typically does not affect the actual image area (you may have to be careful positioning the filter rails when using extreme movements to avoid vignetting, but I rarely encounter this problem). I use the Lee 100mm square linear polarizer with this system, although I rarely use it with the SS150XL due to uneven sky polarization.

LJ Segil

Ouch, Eric! That 115mm adapter from Robert White is listed at 140 british pounds (money type). The Cokin is $55 at B&H. Are the Cokin filters really that much worse?
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by ljsegil View Post
    Ouch, Eric! That 115mm adapter from Robert White is listed at 140 british pounds (money type). The Cokin is $55 at B&H. Are the Cokin filters really that much worse?
    Larry
    I presume the Cokin system you are referring to is the Cokin X-Pro. By the way, Lee makes ND grad filters for the X-Pro system (see http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product...2244&PT_ID=549), and reportedly Formatt/Hitech will make X-Pro filters as well (see Joanna Carter's postings in this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...185#post379185).

Personally I selected Lee because I was concerned about filter bulk. The Lee filters are 100x100mm (100mm x 150mm for the ND grads), while the X-Pro filters are 130mm x 170mm. I shoot both color and B&W and carry a lot of filters with me, and an all X-Pro filter set would have gotton relatively huge. Also, the bulk of my lenses are much smaller than my SS150XL and the X-Pro would have been overkill, especially for my 4x5 kit.

If the bulk issue doesn't bother you, then the X-Pro might be a better way to go. I have never used X-Pro (aside from owning one X-Pro orange filter which I tape to my 200mm Grandagon lens) so I really can't comment much about it.

Heliopan makes 110mm x 1 filters.

Smile Re: Filter setups for lenses with large center filters

I am considering getting a Lee push on filter, but am not sure whether I want to spend the $$$ it is obviously going to cost for the 115 mm push on filter vs. the 100 mm push on filter. I would be using it on a Schneider 150 SS-XL lens. My most used filters include the Lee 25, 11, 12, and linear PL as well as the various ND grads.

At what point does the light fall off get to be bad? I know that this is a subjective question, but is there an aperture below which it isn't as noticeable?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Lee do some 130mm wide Grad Filters - http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product...2244&PT_ID=549

You need a set of “Wings” to extend a standard Lee Filter Holder - http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product...1379&PT_ID=501

Martin