Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dagor!

Re: Dagor!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    I bought one in Copal that has a very, very slight separation in the front cell that's only really visible if you remove the cell from the shutter, but otherwise perfect, for $550. If it's truly mint and pretty in a factory mount, I'd probably start it at $650-750 and see what you get.

Cheers, Steve

Steve:

Did Harley Ferguson sell you a dud?

No, Harley didn't have a 9-1/2". The 8-1/4" did have cleaning marks though. But that's cosmetic. And the 9-1/2 isn't a dud by any means. Very sharp, and $550 was a bit low for a mint 9-1/2 in Copal, so I suspected there was something somewhere.

Cheers, Steve

Was just poking a little fun at our friend HF.

There are still plenty of overpriced Dagors out there but it does appear the prices are starting to drop to where they belong. Eventually Kevin Camera and Lens and Repro will get tired of dusting them off and reduce the price to where the market is. Dagors are much like the pre asph 35mm 1.4 Summilux that Leica made. The cult following drove them out of sight in price. The difference is the Dagor is a very fine lens and the old 35 Summilux is only a fair lens.

Don,

Yep, I know. He was wanting more for the Dagors and Artars having seen high eBay prices at the time I bought them from him, wow, probably over three years ago. But I told him that he should have saved the caps, boxes, and not used those push-on filter adapters that wear the enamel off the barrels and gold rims. He looked at me like I was crazy. I just had to laugh and tell him part of the premium price is cosmetic condition since most people aren't buying Dagors and Artars to make a living with these days.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve,

We need to get together for lunch again and invite Harley. Let's see if we can get him to pay. HaHa.

Don,

We'd both starve to death first!!

Steve

No kidding. I think I told you about filling in at his studio on a Saturday while he was out sick. He said he would pay me well for the day. I ran B&W film, made a bunch of B&W prints and shot two jobs. I probably made a couple thousand dollars for him that day. He paid me well, $25 or was it $20.

Don,

I'm going to be quiet now...

Cheers,

Steve