Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What shutter do you use for your barrel lens?

Re: What shutter do you use for your barrel lens?

I had the shutter chopped out of speed graphic and made an adapter to use it on my Deardorff. First I used it on the back and then made the adapter that you see to use it on the front. When it is on the front I can use any format on the back. Very handy if not the lightest thing in the world.
    Here is a link to the thread:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=36782&page=31
    I am also using it on my 7x17 Korona. The shutter speeds go from 1/10 to 1/1000 and it has a T setting.

Sinar

Sinar, Luc and Packard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Any reason, Jim? (Aside from not having a Sinar/Horseman, that is!!)

I'm considering using one of Sinar's Auto-Aperture shutters in conjunction with a Brass/Petzval et al to give best control of shutter speeds. In a pragmatic sense, this is way more functional and accurate that a [single speed] Packard.

Thanks in advance,

Lachlan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I've never compared side by side but I've had the Packard and the Sinar shutters and I think the Sinar vibrates the most of any shutter yet. I doubt it matters most of the time but for long lenses there might be one or two speeds that match some weird frequency of vibration (I don't know, I am thinking in tuning fork terms...)

If you practice I think you can make a lenscap work at 1/2 or one second and longer....
    I have one at work. I never got a decent shot with that camera until I figured out it was the jumpin shutter. I put the Nikkor 210 into a polaroid shutter and instantly solved the problem. My bad for not tieing the camera to a concrete block or something more substantial than what I was using.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I've never compared side by side but I've had the Packard and the Sinar shutters and I think the Sinar vibrates the most of any shutter yet. I doubt it matters most of the time but for long lenses there might be one or two speeds that match some weird frequency of vibration (I don't know, I am thinking in tuning fork terms...)

If you practice I think you can make a lenscap work at 1/2 or one second and longer....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I have one at work. I never got a decent shot with that camera until I figured out it was the jumpin shutter. I put the Nikkor 210 into a polaroid shutter and instantly solved the problem. My bad for not tieing the camera to a concrete block or something more substantial than what I was using.
    If Sinar shutter is used on sinar camera, will that help to reduced the vibration?

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    If Sinar shutter is used on sinar camera, will that help to reduced the vibration?
    The one at work is on a Sinar. I think you probably just need a really heavy studio type tripod for these. Solid solid solid. The cable release for these has a 2 inch throw and the spring you overcome is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Nichols View Post
    I had the shutter chopped out of speed graphic and made an adapter to use it on my Deardorff. First I used it on the back and then made the adapter that you see to use it on the front. When it is on the front I can use any format on the back. Very handy if not the lightest thing in the world.
    Here is a link to the thread:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=36782&page=31
    I am also using it on my 7x17 Korona. The shutter speeds go from 1/10 to 1/1000 and it has a T setting.
    That is cool, I have once thought about that. I guess the nice thing about it is that the opening is much bigger, and you don't need to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Songyun, I don't know if this will work for you -- vignetting may be a problem -- but I have, even use, lenses in barrel with focal lengths ranging from 4.75" to 480 mm that I use front-mounted on a Copal #1. But I shoot all of them on 2x3, not 4x5.

I use my shorter barrel lenses (44 mm, ~100 mm, and sometimes 12"/4 tele) on a 2x3 Speed Graphic. These lenses have too short back focus to be front-mounted and still make infinity (44 mm) or cover 2x3 (the others). The 44's good only for 6x6.

Most of my mount adapters (lens-to-#1) were made by SKGrimes. Not as much of an economic disaster as you'd think, there just the one shutter and most of the adapters accept more than one of my lenses.
    I don't think this works with my application. I shoot 8X10 with some barrel lens.

Packard bulb works great for me.

...vibration...

I have used my Sinar Shutter at exposures up to 8 seconds, and have never noticed any vibration, either indoors or out.

Compared to standard shutters, it is a bit noisy - but vibration is not an issue. The topic has been discussed here before, and as I recall, owners were unanimous in their judgment.

I don't own either a heavy tripod, or a heavy tripod head.

Note that the fastest shutter speed is only 1/60 second. The Sinar Shutter was designed for in-studio work, where close focus and long exposures would be commonplace. That's why it gives accurate incremental times down to 8 seconds. If it vibrated, what use would it be ?

I would be very much surprised, if the Sinar engineers somehow managed to overlook the issue, or failed in their efforts.