Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark cloth... your input requested

Dark cloth... your input requested

I have read through the previous posts on this subject and most seem related as to whether one should place weights in the corners or edges to hold them down. W ell fortunate for me, my wife has generously offered to make a new dark cloth as a present for my camera. In order to offer her constructive suggestions in rega rds to size (dimensions), shape and closure type I thought I would post the ques tion here. Does anybody wish to make a few helpful suggestions? Perhaps you alre ady own a commercial item such as the Calumet , Zone VI, or perhaps Ebony and wo uld like to comment on your likes and dislikes of these designs.

Kind regards,

I use the Zone VI cloth which is great. It has the weights in the corners, black cloth inside, white outside, and cotton fabric- all important features. I briefly used a Calumet cloth that was black polyester, which made my hair stand on end with static.

The only caveat I know of about weights comes from a photographer who got whappe d on the noggin a couple of times when the wind whipped his darkcloth around.

Check out the tube style darkcloths, BTZS makes one, and you could probably fashion your own. they fit snugly around the camera and your head, and keep the ambient light from below out as well. another positive is their better wind performance. I found an old nylon golf bag head cover with elastic around both openings, just the right size, and folds to about the size of a pack of cigarettes. I've also uesd a t-shirt with an elastic cord put through the waist - worked very well. My experience with the "horseblanket" style cloths were not good ones - poor performance in windy conditions, which seems to be just about all the time where I live, and too much light gets in from below.

I agree with Michael, a tube style dark cloth (with an elastic draw cord) made for your camera would be my first choice, they block out the light all the way around.

You are so lucky to have your wife to custom make the perfect dark cloth. My wife made one for me as well. I too prefer the elastic style like the BTZS. I will add that mine is white on the outside to keep down the summer heat and also as David mentions above, at least the black liner must be cotton to control static. Make sure to select a black fabric dense enough to block sunlight! With the tube style, there is no need for weights. I have the bottom sewn out about 14 inches: Enough to seal out light from below but still open for ventilation or to avoid fogging the GG.

With regard to the BTZS type dark cloths, how do you get your arms in there to focus with a loupe?

Have your wife sew some elastic into the waistband of a heavy/dark Tee shirt or sweatshirt to fit your camera back. viola! Slip the elastic over your camera back, stick your head through the "head-hole" and arms through the "arm-holes".... Best dark cloth you can get!

Matt, this is a truly good suggestion, which answers Andy's question. In fact, I planned on buying a cloth today, I guess I settle for a T-shirt. Great. Sorry B&H Thanks!

Hi Grey Wolf, I use the horse blanket type at the moment, but removed the weights from the corners! I have stuck velcro on the inside so that once draped over my head/camera I can seal the bottom and sides to prevent it flapping in the wind and allowing light in at the base. The only thing that puts me off the BTZS type is this, how do you manage to load a film holder without having to take the entire contraption off your head/camera?? The cloth also doubles as a blanket for when its nippy!! Regard