Page 572 of 696 FirstFirst ... 72472522562570571572573574582622672 ... LastLast
Results 5,711 to 5,720 of 6957

Thread: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

Re: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

That's quite a falls! The composition, including the people, hangs together really well.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks Peter! It is indeed a great waterfall - the highest in GA and I just found out, 3rd highest east of the Mississippi.

I tend to stay down in the creek and not photograph it because of the lack of viewpoints and compositions, but I am glad I tried this new approach, though tricky and I probably wasn't supposed to be over there. I normally try to avoid the viewing platforms in photographs but that's impossible here. I was envisioning images of Multnomah Falls when shooting this viewpoint.

Down at the parking area, when it's the dead of winter, you can see the falls kind of up in the mountain. All the leaves have to be gone to get a clear view. I want to try getting an interesting photo there with my 720mm lens.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    , Nikkor-T 360mm f/8
    That's hilarious--you ought to set up shop during prom season.

A question for you: do you find using a tele lens slows you down whilst afield with movements, or is it a case that the GG never lies and you roll with what you see? FWIW, I'm looking for something on the long end--the Fuji 240A would be ideal, but I'm starting to think the guys looking for light 8x10 options are bidding those up.

Just need a flash there in the bushes for front-fill and an assistant with a walkie-talkie and that would be doable .

The "jumpy" movement using a telephoto doesn't bother me. You could use rear movements if available to circumvent that. It doesn't need much usually though. The Nikkor-T line is very big and heavy. On the other hand the prices have come down a lot since I bought this set (I have the full 360/500/720 set). I don't hardly use looooong lenses, but I bought this kit from a retiring photographer who was selling me a different lens and I couldn't pass it up, way back about 6 years ago. I like having it and trying out a different perspective sometimes. But usually the longest lens in my pack is a 240. Look for a G-Claron, they can go cheap.

:Look for a G-Claron, they can go cheap.
    I was thinking wet plate?

I'll keep an eye out for the G-Claron, thanks! (FWIW, I remain curious about the Nikkor 270/6.3 TED, though again I keep running into the prospect of being short sided by its 160mm IC.)

Today the NGLFP group met up in northeast GA to photograph at Minnehaha Falls. We had 5 people shooting LF which was quite a scene!
    I brought along my 8x10, intending to test some film I found in the bottom of my freezer recently.

This is a nice tall waterfall that has an unfortunate scrawny tree right in front of it, without a whole lot of foreground, making it a challenging subject, especially in the cold months where standing in the water is not fun (and dangerous, anyway).

My first shot has a bit less foreground interest than I usually try to get. I was aiming to see the movement of the water down front along with the rocks jutting in.
    Wehman UL 8x10, 240mm f/9 G-Claron, T-Max 400, dev'd in DD-X 1:9 for 10 minutes:

My second shot, I wanted to shoot the complex rocks, leave detritus, and water to the left of the falls. I realize now I should've shot one more sheet with the camera rotated to the right to make a diptych - would've been an interesting look with the two negatives splitting the waterfall. Next time. This one was with a 6" Metrogon I finally cut a lens board for:

My third sheet didn't really work compositionally. Oh well.

I will have to give this waterfall another go sometime. I eagerly await my colleagues' results !

Today the NGLFP group met up in northeast GA to photograph at Minnehaha Falls. We had 5 people shooting LF which was quite a scene!
    I brought along my 8x10, intending to test some film I found in the bottom of my freezer recently.

This is a nice tall waterfall that has an unfortunate scrawny tree right in front of it, without a whole lot of foreground, making it a challenging subject, especially in the cold months where standing in the water is not fun (and dangerous, anyway).

My first shot has a bit less foreground interest than I usually try to get. I was aiming to see the movement of the water down front along with the rocks jutting in.
    Wehman UL 8x10, 240mm f/9 G-Claron, T-Max 400, dev'd in DD-X 1:9 for 10 minutes:

My second shot, I wanted to shoot the complex rocks, leave detritus, and water to the left of the falls. I realize now I should've shot one more sheet with the camera rotated to the right to make a diptych - would've been an interesting look with the two negatives splitting the waterfall. Next time. This one was with a 6" Metrogon I finally cut a lens board for:

My third sheet didn't really work compositionally. Oh well.

I will have to give this waterfall another go sometime. I eagerly await my colleagues' results !

I really like the first one.

Standing in water in winter not fun, in summer not bad. I got chest deep once with my 5DMKIII to shoot a waterfall, screwed up the lighting, but it was a decent shot anyway.

Spent time in the darkroom yesterday working on some images from last weekend's outing on the Marginal Way in Ogunquit, ME. This 8x10 contact print was my favorite out of the series.

Zero Image 810
    Ilford HP5 in Ilfosol-3 1+9
    Adorama FB Matte paper in Ilford Warmtone 1+9
    Berg Rapid RC Sepia Toner

Extraordinary!

Had to look up your camera.

Even better knowing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke View Post
    Spent time in the darkroom yesterday working on some images from last weekend's outing on the Marginal Way in Ogunquit, ME. This 8x10 contact print was my favorite out of the series.

Zero Image 810
    Ilford HP5 in Ilfosol-3 1+9
    Adorama FB Matte paper in Ilford Warmtone 1+9
    Berg Rapid RC Sepia Toner

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Extraordinary!

Had to look up your camera.

Even better knowing that.
    Thanks Randy. I bought the camera for a contact print project and to mix things up creatively, but it has quickly become my favorite camera to use lately.