Page 117 of 696 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167217617 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 6953

Thread: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

Re: What did you compose at Water’s Edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Nice, Heroique. I like the play between the snow-free patch and the cloud...
    Thanks, Vaughn. As you know, clouds in the Pacific NW often misbehave … these polite ones had drifted down from Canada. BTW, this was the day I struggled w/ my dark slides that were freezing shut!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Looks great, how far in is the park from I5? I've lived in Washington State all my life but I've never made it to the park. This must be the worst time of year.

Curt
    To add a bit to Heroique's response, the North Cascades National Park Service Complex is almost as large as the state of Delaware, and includes less than half IIRC of the North Cascades range.

It's a wild and magical place, and among my favorite places to trek, too!

Here's an image from another North Cascades destination, after a chilly summer night on Blanca Lake (in the Henry M. Jackson Wilderness). 300mm lens, Ilford Delta, with an Arca-Swiss field camera.

Your images remind me of why I want to spend more time exploring the North Cascades and less time in a cubicle!

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    The N. Cascades are a favorite place where I hike cross-country, esp. at higher elevations where forests open up, rocks get jagged, and lakes are everywhere.

I’m sure you’ve noticed many people here who explore these mountains & post their shots.

Below is another shot in the N. Cascades (last year) – at a similar high elevation. (While this snowy scene & the earlier shot are in the N. Cascades, neither is within the boundaries of North Cascades Nat’l Park.)

The “N. Cascades” are in B.C. & north-central Washington – an area well north of Mt. St. Helens & Mt. Rainier – and a distinct subset of the larger “Cascade” range which runs down from Canada, through Washington, Oregon (think Mt. Hood, Mt. Jefferson), and into N. California (think Shasta, Lassen).

BTW, people sometimes confuse the Cascades w/ the Olympics, which is a coastal range on Washington’s Olympic Peninsula. The two ranges are very different in climate (esp. during winter), flora, fauna, and geology. For example, the Olympics have rain forests!

From I-5 near Seattle, one can see the N. Cascades rising in the east (and the Olympics to the west). Thanks to the view left & right, it’s difficult to keep your eyes straight ahead on the road! Hwy 2 and Hwy 20 take you into the N. Cascades. Hwy 2 is its southern boundary. Further north, Hwy 20 travels into North Cascades Nat’l Park – which is “in the middle” of the N. Cascades.

A land of savagery … or enchantment – depends on your preparation & point of view.

Tachi 4x5
    Schneider 110mm/5.6 XL (w/ Lee 81a)
    Velvia-50 (snow simply on zone 7)
    Epson 4990/Epson Scan

Sunrise over Eel Pond in Woods Hole, MA. Velvia 50, 3-stop GND. Rodenstock 90mm lens @ f/22, some front tilt, 5 seconds. Taken in August 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Jukka, that's fantastic. Nothing worse than a frosty ground glass. Ever try breathing through a tube?
    That sounds interesting. Using snorkel with a view camera
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr

Morning mist - Pike National Forest

4X5 E100VS, Nikkor 300M

Quote Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
    Morning mist - Pike National Forest
    4X5 E100VS, Nikkor 300M
    Very nice – like yellow-tipped candles illuminating the land.

Scouting helps me anticipate shots like this … I return early, set-up, and wait.

Preston Birdwell

That's really beautiful, Mel.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

LJ Segil

Two shots, same vintage 210mm/f6.8 Goerz Doeppel-Anastigmat Series III lens, both at f/6.8 (I just like the effect, I know I'm abusing the optic), both Canham 8x10 camera, summer shot on Fuji Pro 160S, autumn on Kodak Portra 400NC (summer shot has been here before, but the autumn is a new contrast from the old).
    Larry