Page 554 of 696 FirstFirst ... 54454504544552553554555556564604654 ... LastLast
Results 5,531 to 5,540 of 6953

Thread: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

Re: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

DaveF, I enjoy those colorful abstracts!

Rocks and snow at the shore. I was really excited to find this scene of the wet rock contrasting with the clean white snow glowing in sunshine. I shot it with my rolleiflex as well and it should come out crispy modern if all goes well. This I shot with the soft focus, to dwell on the shapes and tones rather than texture or detail. Sort of a modern adaptation of the Notan theory promoted by Arthur Wesley Dow's book and Clarence White's school. Tones makes the composition and the photographed object is secondary. It's basically a design of four tones. Sort of like making music with fewer keys or strings.

Owls Head Maine, March 2018. 4x5 speed graphic and 7.25" Verito soft focus lens. tmy2 tmax 400 film in pyrocat hdc.

img213 by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    DaveF, I enjoy those colorful abstracts!

Rocks and snow at the shore. I was really excited to find this scene of the wet rock contrasting with the clean white snow glowing in sunshine. I shot it with my rolleiflex as well and it should come out crispy modern if all goes well. This I shot with the soft focus, to dwell on the shapes and tones rather than texture or detail. Sort of a modern adaptation of the Notan theory promoted by Arthur Wesley Dow's book and Clarence White's school. Tones makes the composition and the photographed object is secondary. It's basically a design of four tones. Sort of like making music with fewer keys or strings.

Owls Head Maine, March 2018. 4x5 speed graphic and 7.25" Verito soft focus lens. tmy2 tmax 400 film in pyrocat hdc.
    I really like this one Jason! You nailed that nice sharp w/over glow and great depth at the same time. I also love the textures. Great job!

Somersby Falls #10 by James Cook, on Flickr

The location that keeps on giving.

Intrepid 4x5 Mk II, Fujinon 150/5.6, Fomapan 100 @ 100
    1sec @ f/16
    Developed in Ilfotec LC29 for 5:20 @ 22℃

Have this scene on an E6 slide yet to be developed. Got to save up some more first before heading for the lab.

Thank you Louis!

Somersby Falls #11 by James Cook, on Flickr

Intrepid 4x5 Mk II, Fujinon 150/5.6, Fomapan 100
    3 sec @ f/32
    Ilfotec LC29 - 5:20 @ 22℃

I thought for sure this girl or her friend were going to fall off the waterfall and hurt themselves. Her friend left her up there and then came back to coax her down. There are some waterfalls up here that folks can kind of slide down without much issue (I have an old pic of my dad and I doing just that at some close by falls), but this one is much too large and sheer. I was literally prepared to go swim over there and get her out of the water if she fell and broke her neck.

But, I took a picture too. On the scan at full rez you can see she is quite nonplussed .

Chamonix 45n1, 150mm APO Symmar + CPL, TMX, FX-39:

I took one w/o her, as well. Just found this waterfall, it's only 15 minutes away from me. I had no idea it was there but found a website documenting all of the lesser-known falls in my county.

One more from the same place, not sure which I like better yet:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    One more from the same place
    Forgive another newbie question from the "format curious," but I'm wondering how close that last shot came to taxing your camera's limits in terms of bellows draw, tilt, and aperture. Or to put it another way, would a Horseman flatbed with its relatively short bellows and limited rear movements handle the composition as well as your Chamonix?

At any rate, it's getting close to Darwin Award season here in the GSMNP as well--it's the rare trip where I don't see something--the parents, usually-- that leaves me shaking my head in abject disbelief.

The front rock wasn't terribly large, though I tried to get as close as possible to make it appear larger. The limit was not the camera but my ability to get the camera low and not have to lay in the water to see the ground glass (one time where a 90-degree viewer would be nice). Front tilt was used liberally, probably 15 degrees or so, to get the front of the rock in focus along with the distant trees. At that point the waterfall is out of focus, so I backed off the focus a bit and used f/45 to pull it all in. Now that I think about it I do have a 90-degree viewer I've never used for my Linhof, sitting in a box, so I should try once more to get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    (one time where a 90-degree viewer would be nice).
    Excellent, since the near/far thing is one I know isn't possible with my Pentax kit at the equivalent focal length, I was wondering where the "crux" was. (As you might infer, I'm sifting through my options for changing formats, though y'all seem to be pretty adept at hiding the proverbial free lunch...)

The "almost" free lunch would be a simple Speed or Crown Graphic with the front standard reversed to enable more typical front movements. If that's all Greek to you shoot me a PM since it's a bit off topic.